Inside out candle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting - I've never seen this before.
Gotta try it this summer. Looks like you could roast a mean hotdog in that localized flame.
Do you know how it is lit - from the bottom or top, and with an accelerant?
Happy burning.

What are you pouring inside the log?

Shari

We were using melted wax as an acellerant poured down the vertical hole. But you could pour kerosene also - until it got going. I also have an acetylene torch which we've used, poked in the horizontal hole.

The main thing is the make sure the wood is dry and sappy, and the wholes are at least an inch in diameter. The cool thing about these is that, if you could line your drive way with a few of these for Halloween - so long as it was safe and someone (hidden) was watching over things with a garden hose (like a 16 year old who doesn't trick or treat anymore).

Wow that's cool!!!!!

I am going to have to give that a try.

Billy

Hey HeatsTwice

We tried it this weekend UP north and it was great! Thanks for posting it!!! We forgot the drill at home. So my brother bore cut them with his chainsaw.

IMG_1273.jpg

The birch worked out the best. The log to the front was maple but still a little wet. The spruce log worked well and so did a cedar.

IMG_1275.jpg

Once the candles burnt mostly up we made a bonfire out of them

IMG1285S.jpg

My friend Scott and brother Tommy and I. Were up with them until at least 1am when we ran out of beer.

IMG1287S.JPG

Billy

Great pictures. Interesting also.

I new a smoke jumper once who told me about a fire he was on where a dead hollowed out tree still standing had caught fire. It was burning from the inside out and looked like a roman candle as it went. The tree was about 5 foot wide and burned for ever - 3 days or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.