Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neumsky

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2011
Oklahoma City
So what does this mean??? I have had over the years.I run it 24/7.I had it professionally installed by a Wett certified installer so no screw ups there.

What you talking about?

I think WETT is a chimney sweep certification organization. He had it installed by a certified installer and all the years he has had the stove and burned it 24 hours a day 7 days a week with no issues as it was installed properly with no screw ups.

Hows that for deciphering stove lingo?

Still seems like he leading to something he left out..lol.

@ huntindog....yes...I was wondering what wett certified is? haha. Hotcoals...

WOOD ENERGY TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER INC. They certify installers and sweeps in Canada.

www.wettinc.ca/

You can look up CSIA certified sweeps in your area here. Type in your zipcode in the left hand column.

http://www.csia.org/

No certification required in Oklahoma.

I think we are talking two completely different things. I don't know about local inspection requirements, but that doesn't mean you don't want a certified installer. Having any old joe install a flue system can lead to a bunch of headaches and possibly life threatening problems. Beware of installation 'experts' that aren't.

I agree Begreen...but there is no requirement for certified installers. If you pull this site up that you suggested...there is none. and I don't think I can find one. But I guarantee that I will have someone that's got a reputable history & has been around doing it for a long time. I tell you who the guy would be to call & that would be the guy the insurance company would have to come out & inspect it...if they do installs which is the guy's I'm going to call.

Could be. What zip code? I tried 73129 and got:

Mike Parham: Chimney Doctor - serving North Central OK since 1981
5911 E 68th St
Stillwater, OK 74074-6471
(580) 762-3838
http://chimneydoctorok.com/

NCSG ( http://www.ncsg.org/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx ) lists Mike and:

Able Apple Chimney Service
3824 Key Pl
Oklahoma City, OK 73112-7548
(405) 843-9347
Primary Contact: James Spengo

I tried mine of 73099 and it showed nothing and stillwater is about 51 miles from me haha...I'd rather deal with someone local. And I can guarantee...just cause their certified does'nt mean their better than someone who's been doing it for 30 plus years. BTW...I'm in OKC.

neumsky said:
I tried mine of 73099 and it showed nothing and stillwater is about 51 miles from me haha...I'd rather deal with someone local. And I can guarantee...just cause their certified does'nt mean their better than someone who's been doing it for 30 plus years. BTW...I'm in OKC.

And I guarantee that there are folks who have been doing it wrong for 30 years. Be careful no matter which way you go.

pen

As noted, Apple Chimney service is listed for your zip code. I would call both.

Alright...apple chimney does not install stoves(or pipe) & the company chimney doctor outa stillwater does'nt come this far. Were striking out haha...looks like maybe I'm stuck with someone who's been doing it for 30 plus years. I doubt somebody can do something for 30 years wrong. Somebody would turn them in. They probably would'nt still be in business.

neumsky said:
Alright...apple chimney does not install stoves(or pipe) & the company chimney doctor outa stillwater does'nt come this far. Were striking out haha...looks like maybe I'm stuck with someone who's been doing it for 30 plus years. I doubt somebody can do something for 30 years wrong. Somebody would turn them in. They probably would'nt still be in business.

You'd be surprised. Lots of folks out there who are honest people who don't realize that what they were taught 30 years ago isn't right and continue to repeat mistakes. Class A chimneys I think have helped to reduce that, but there are many masonry setups out there that are simply wrong.

Regardless, the best protection you can do for yourself is to become educated on what the guy is about to do, ask questions before hiring him, ask for references / insruance, etc.. That way, you can ask questions before the install to double check the guy. Also, if he thinks his work is going to be scrutinized by an educated consumer, I think they tend be a bit less likely to cut a corner anywhere.

pen

I agree with you 100% Pen...& that's why I'm getting advice from ya'll. I hope somebody does'nt tell me I've been flying airplanes for a living now in excess of 33 years haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.