Inventory check

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigealta

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2010
Utah & NJ
Just added up all the scattered stacks for the next few years. Seems i'm a bit light as it only came to a total of 4 1/2 cords. 4 cords Oak and 1/2 cord of maple.
Also have 1 1/4 cord of "reserve' locust that's been stacked as 2 shed walls for probably 10+ years. Have a big oak blown down on a rental property down at the bottom of the hill. Still need to figure out how to get a vehicle down there to get it. That's my year 2 1/2 and 3 year wood.

F549F807-B018-4A16-8A2B-35139AD61A1B.jpeg 2188B2FC-5D5F-4792-B16D-26AD5082EB91.jpeg 7E572A79-9440-47BB-8A0A-9EBB2E77B326.jpeg F0868903-1470-4086-B284-95480ADFF8D2.jpeg 84E9EE6F-1988-4804-8AA3-5C63C36A600D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dix and Gearhead660
Anyone want to share their inventory? It was good for me to do as i was thinking it was a bit bigger than it actually is. Gonna help me get the year 2 1/2 and 3 year wood added sooner.

My inventory looks great. I usually burn 10-15 cord a year in my Garn. Locust and hedge mostly. We have had a pretty mild winter. I am down probably three cord from were I would normally be at this time of the year. I burn my Garn year around for domestic water. Have plenty of hedge logs cut just need to buck split and load on trailers. Only have room for about four cord on trailers right now. I have about thirty cord of hedge in a shed for that time when I too old to cut wood. We may get some processed before we go to the field to plant in mid April.

Wow. 10-15 cords a year is a lot of cutting and splitting.

The last two years (since we got a good stove) we have burned about 2.5 cords a year. It'll be less this year with all the warm weather. I have about 5 cords split and stacked in totes and on pallets. There's some logs waiting bucking and splitting and more trees marked to come down. I need to build a wood shed.

I have about 2.75 cords per year stacked since last spring for the next three years in a shed.
This winter I have a 10' x 5' stack of 17" inch long of red oak left that was meant for this season but that I won't be using this winter. So that gets added to next winter.
I also have about a cord of pine stacked elsewhere.

I've reduced my inventory by half, over the last 3 years. Anticipating burning less, in the future.

It was previously a variable 30+/- cords CSS'd on pallets, occasionally getting down near 20 cords if we got a stretch of weather too wet for splitting, but never less:

IMG_1866.jpg

Now it's a variable 16 - 18 cords, in a collection of 4-cord sheds like this:

IMG_6070.JPG

And then there's the pile of "sticks", all 15-ftoot lengths. I don't really track what's in the "stick pile", always more than I need, since friends and neighbors are always asking me to cut down or take away their trees.

IMG_6071.JPG

Reactions: bigealta
Wow. 10-15 cords a year is a lot of cutting and splitting.

The last two years (since we got a good stove) we have burned about 2.5 cords a year. It'll be less this year with all the warm weather. I have about 5 cords split and stacked in totes and on pallets. There's some logs waiting bucking and splitting and more trees marked to come down. I need to build a wood shed.
Being another person who burns 10+ cords per year, i always chuckle when people say to put up 3 yrs of wood in advance. I would have to be a full time sawyer to do that, especially since I do this all alone

Though @Ashful does precisely that...
It's possible. And good for a woodstove burner (I also think for a boiler, though they seem to be less affected by less than ideal wood).

I have ~65 full cord c/s/s on pallets and top covered......I don't plan on going much more than that.

.......and for those few who seem to think I am full of $hit.......

I've since burned and sold some of this but have also added to it...so net result is the same.

i think you all are addicted to wood cutting and stacking but I know it feels nice when you take your inventory..That's neat looking wood and lots of it as well JRHawk9 But I still think you are all addicted...Have a pizza night with a cold beer for you and soda"s for the kiddies..Get some fun time in too...clancey

i think you all are addicted to wood cutting and stacking but I know it feels nice when you take your inventory..That's neat looking wood and lots of it as well JRHawk9 But I still think you are all addicted...Have a pizza night with a cold beer for you and soda"s for the kiddies..Get some fun time in too...clancey
==c :)

I think in order to be addicted one must partake in the addiction on a year around basis though. I don't pick up a chainsaw or start my wood splitter from April through November. I don't know of any smokers who only smoke 3 months out of the year. ;lol I do all my cutting just on various weekends a few hours at a time during the winter starting mainly after Christmas till the end of February or so. This winter it feels like I hardly did any cutting, as I pretty much went out maybe 7 times throughout the winter....3 of those I did have help from my nephew though and we were able to cut a fair amount just in those three days. We worked the whole day, those three days though. Once the snow melts and ground softens up enough for me to drive t-posts in is when I split/stack it all. Last March I was done splitting/stacking the 11+ cord I cut that winter on March 21st. This year I am behind in the splitting/stacking due to the ground being too froze and the snow melting late. I split for 5 hours last Sunday and plan on going out this weekend some. I am guessing I only have 5-6 cord from this winter......time will tell though.

Reactions: clancey
I have ~65 full cord c/s/s on pallets and top covered......I don't plan on going much more than that.
Well, that explains the grin in your avatar. :)

I got a kick out of the cross next to the tree. I'm assuming that's where your splitting partner/helper gave up and died, on the spot. Of course you don't have the time to stop splitting long enough to transport the body too far from the stacks, so you just plan them there, and keep going! ;lol

thecross.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: JRHAWK9
Well, that explains the grin in your avatar. :)

I got a kick out of the cross next to the tree. I'm assuming that's where your splitting partner/helper gave up and died, on the spot. Of course you don't have the time to stop splitting long enough to transport the body too far from the stacks, so you just plan them there, and keep going! ;lol

View attachment 294074

Yeah, the avatar is a much better looking representation of myself. ;lol

Yeah, it's kind of embarrassing, as neither one of us are religious, but my GF wanted to put a cross just to mark the spot of her CAT that died 10 years ago. LOL He was a Maine Coon mix and at one point in his life had raided an owl's nest and had a scar in his eye from it for the remainder of his life. He also backed up a couple racoons under our deck. That cat was something else.....went for walks with us down the road when we took the dogs and actually tried fetching a frisbee (couldn't pick it up high enough so he wouldn't trip on it). Anyway I give her crap and tell her he was a such a badass cat he even killed the tree I planted him at. Seriously though, the tree is dead and most of the bark has fell off of it. It's dead in that video, but a lot of the bark was still attached.

Reactions: Gearhead660
3 seasons ago I didn't have enough to make it through the winter. Currently have 17 cord css, and 8 cord buck and stacked waiting for space in a woodshed. That gives me 6 seasons worth comfortly. Now the hard part of trying to scale back the firewood collecting a bit. Try and stick to just 4 cord each winter.

Reactions: NickW
Only have about 9 cord css. Use about 4 cord a season, bit this years been higher due to hauling it up north with me for the cabin. Need to get my scrounge on...

Reactions: Gearhead660
Just added up all the scattered stacks for the next few years. Seems i'm a bit light as it only came to a total of 4 1/2 cords. 4 cords Oak and 1/2 cord of maple.
Also have 1 1/4 cord of "reserve' locust that's been stacked as 2 shed walls for probably 10+ years. Have a big oak blown down on a rental property down at the bottom of the hill. Still need to figure out how to get a vehicle down there to get it. That's my year 2 1/2 and 3 year wood.

View attachment 293998 View attachment 293999 View attachment 294000 View attachment 294001 View attachment 294003
We should have 50 plus face cord (hardwood) in our inventory when this heating season ends. We have another six face cord of white pine for the shoulder season, we'll have six more stacked for a total of twelve face cord of white pine stacked by the end of July.

I'm hoping that I can cut another 12 face cord of hardwood this spring and then I'll take a break. We still have some ash trees up the EAB is after.

We should have 50 plus face cord (hardwood) in our inventory when this heating season ends. We have another six face cord of white pine for the shoulder season, we'll have six more stacked for a total of twelve face cord of white pine stacked by the end of July.

I'm hoping that I can cut another 12 face cord of hardwood this spring and then I'll take a break. We still have some ash trees up the EAB is after.
What is a face cord where u are?
16"x4'x8'?

Reactions: thewoodlands
Got some done last fall before I got laid up, lots more to do. Weather hasn't been real co-operative for the days I'm home. lot of logs over 20" in dia. close to 15ft long. pics are just some what's out back

phonepics aug 21 013.JPG phonepics aug 21 010.jpg phonepics aug 21 040.jpg phonepics aug 21 051.JPG

It looks like your inventory is pretty good, what type wood do you have in the pile of logs?