Is 272xp enough saw for milling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Trees come out of the ground, so usually they pick up the hard solids in the bark on the way out. Any minerals in the cambium would not be solid and instead dissolved in water. The bark of some trees is also just much harder than the sap and heartwood.

Man, just be careful chipping bark off if you use an ax or hatchet. To me that’s the most dangerous part of the journey. Also, an ax is safer and less fatigue for some reason. At least for me

Man, just be careful chipping bark off if you use an ax or hatchet. To me that’s the most dangerous part of the journey. Also, an ax is safer and less fatigue for some reason. At least for me
I was thinking of using one of those flat blade ice chippers that you use in driveways.

E6AF9455-498D-4EA3-8ED7-25BF5DF3FB2D.jpeg
The bar and chain came in today. 36”, 0.063 (carleton chain) as per @SpaceBus suggestion. Thank you. I suppose with this gauge thing you have to pay attention when buying. I will look for a 0.050 ripping chain for my 25” stihl bar. And it will not be oregon. Things are slowly coming together. The mask will be coming in this week. Next will be to source out some of those steel square rails, and i suppose those steel plates to hand the rails on.

Attachments

• AEE07611-189C-4CE0-AAB9-0A20F7D3658A.jpeg
    AEE07611-189C-4CE0-AAB9-0A20F7D3658A.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: SpaceBus
View attachment 271887
The bar and chain came in today. 36”, 0.063 (carleton chain) as per @SpaceBus suggestion. Thank you. I suppose with this gauge thing you have to pay attention when buying. I will look for a 0.050 ripping chain for my 25” stihl bar. And it will not be oregon. Things are slowly coming together. The mask will be coming in this week. Next will be to source out some of those steel square rails, and i suppose those steel plates to hand the rails on.
You don’t need the steel plate. Just use a 1x3 and a bit longer than the width of log. Probably 3 for your lengths. Flatten out a spot in the middle of the log just wide enough and deep enough to get a good screw hold and elevate or lower to match your ends and provide support. Make sure all 3 are level horizontally and don’t use too long of screws in the middle so to keep from having to drop down too much. After first cut, just lay your rails on the flat you made to clean up imperfections if there is any. Might have to screw along side the rails to keep them from walking, I have to cus mine are really light

Reactions: Diabel
Use your rails on every cut. Don’t just use the flat you made. Keep your rails past and before to eliminate dovetail.you can slide them if they’re short

Use your rails on every cut. Don’t just use the flat you made. Keep your rails past and before to eliminate dovetail.you can slide them if they’re short
Interesting. So, I should categorically not use a ladder. It would be so easy. I have a brand new heavy duty aluminum one.

I used a 16’ for a while. Just a pita compared to the rails. Especially for longer cuts like you want. Try to imagine the sag in the middle
I have watched guys support the ladder in several spots in the middle.

Once this covid thing eases I will visit a metal shop.

I should also say it’s a good idea to use about 3 4x4’s for your length. Level everything up for your last board making rips and shim the middle to avoid waste on last board

Reactions: Diabel
Granberg makes a slick rail system. I considered it a while back.

My neighbor was saying he’s elevating his log , I think he said after the outside cuts, using a bigger John Deere with forks. I told him to let me know next time they mill. Wouldn’t surprise me if they have improved on what I showed them. Curious to see how they elevate. They’ve just about completed 4 or 5 20 to 26 ft trailers with beams and 2” thick top boards. Went too wide on the top boards if you ask me . I suspect they will cup but who knows. Looks incredible with the wide boards though. I’ll try to get some pics when I go down

I think I am ready for milling. I will order a second ripping chain and that Grenberg grinding jig. We barely had any snow until the beginning of Jan then few storms rolled in. One massive one 18” overnight. It will be a while before it all melts.

A question that popped into my head is what is the best drive sprocket to use while milling with a 660. I’m guessing teeth like an 5 or 6 T as chain speed is less important than engine rpm??? Happy to hear any thoughts.

evan

**edit went the wrong way with teeth few is slower chain right
** replaced more with fewer.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I think it is the opposite. A twelve speed bike comes to mind

Have to think about it like the front sprocket not the rear. Smaller gear less chain speed less load on engine. I think I’m right now.

Drive sprocket larger/more teeth = more speed/less power