Is it OK to store pellet bags outside under a tarp?

Ed Churilla Posted By Ed Churilla, Aug 27, 2017 at 2:35 PM

1. Ed Churilla

Ed Churilla
    Member 2.
    NULL

May 14, 2013
    Loc:
    pittsburgh PA
    been putting them in my garage past few years--any issues with storing outside under cover of a tarp? Looking for some input before I unload.

Thanks in advance

2. DAKSY

DAKSY
    Patriot Guard Rider Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    My stash sits outside all year. I had 4.5 tons at the beginning of last season & only burned 3,
    & THAT 4.5 tons was from the season BEFORE...
    The last pallet is still sitting where it was dropped two years ago & is still factory wrapped.
    I got three more tons at the end of May to take advantage of a sale & free delivery.
    I covered them with a tarp & they're gonna stay covered til I need to start burning.
    Hopefully THAT will be some time in November.

Bucks Pellets and Pete Zahria like this.
  3. Ed Churilla

Ed Churilla
    Member 2.
    NULL

May 14, 2013
    Loc:
    pittsburgh PA
    Thanks for the info-wish I had a way to offload my truck so I didn't have to break down the pallets. But I'll have to break it open and re-stack it and cover it. I'll store this years supply outside and try and keep it covered as best I can.

4. DAKSY

DAKSY
    Patriot Guard Rider Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    You can buy rolls of 20" x 1000' shrink wrap for about $20. I think I'd do that before I threw the tarp on.

Bucks Pellets, bogieb and AccentraRRT like this.
  5. AccentraRRT

AccentraRRT
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Mar 1, 2014
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    As DAKSY said, shrink rap yourself then tarp if needed for extra protection. I left three ton outside all last season and broke them down, brought it in 1/2 ton at a time as I needed them. No issues.

Bucks Pellets likes this.
  6. bogieb

bogieb
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2014
    Loc:
    South Central NH
    I stored 6 tons in my yard from spring 2016 until just a month or so ago. I had to break down 4 of those tons because the deliverer did not place them where I wanted them (next to the other two tons - duh :rolleyes:). Anyway, I recovered each of the re-stacked pallets with the original covers, added a layer of 6 mil plastic on top (covering all 6 tons), then used the shrink wrap that was mentioned by others. Then, on top of that I used a heavy duty tarp.

Everything stayed nice and dry. There wasn't even any condensation when I unwrapped them and moved them, by hand into my house this summer.

Bucks Pellets and DAKSY like this.