Is it stupid to use a convection stove if it is not out in the open?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doff

Jul 1, 2013
Ireland
Hi

I'm debating whether to go with an inset or free-standing stove.

My preference is a Jotul or Morso free-standing as having the benefit of radiant and convection heat is very appealing BUT the size if my room means any free standing is not "front and centre" and would be surrounded by the chimney breast. Do you therefore lose benefit of convection?

I would be ok with an inset but have a slight concern about fans on inset stoves. Are they distracting, irritating when set at a medium level. Perhaps it's a stupid question! I'm looking at inset stoves from Jide and also from Wanders

One final question:

Main room is a small room (12ft x 12ft) but has double doors leading out into another room (12ft x 14ft). Could one stove heat both rooms, the age and design of the house mean there could be significant heat loss.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings Doff. Yes, you can use the radiant stove set in the fireplace. You'll want to add a blocking plate, the lower the better with the back side lower than the front. That will stop heat from being trapped up in the chimney and will help direct it into the room. If you don't mind using a simple table fan to blow cooler air from the adjacent room into the heated room, the two will equalize somewhat in temperature.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/

Sounds like the OP was confusing the terms radiant and convection? Either stove will heat the room just fine and heating the room will heat the other connected rooms to a lesser and lesser degree the farther you are from the stove, the smaller the doorways, and the leakier the home.

Stoves heat homes, not just the room they are in.

A freestanding stove is a superior heater than an insert. Inserts are a compromise, you lose function for the sake of space savings and if you are stuck with a chimney that just cannot take a freestander.

Welcome to the forum Doff.

I should hope a stove could heat more than one room. Our stove heats the whole house! Many folks heat their entire home with a wood stove. Of course that can get touchy if the home is larger than around 2500 sq ft using a stove. Those larger homes need a furnace or boiler to do best.

As Begreen stated, a small fan can do wonders for the whole house. For example, before we installed our present wood stove the back of the home used to stay pretty chilly all winter long. We tried for years to blow heat back there but had little luck. Then someone, I think it was here on hearth.com, told us about moving the cooler air rather than the warm air. Sounded backwards to me but I'm not too smart sometimes so I just had to give it a try. Wow! Using a fan with about 5" blades, we sat it in the hallway and ran it on low speed but blowing the air toward the stove room. It took very little time, like maybe 10 minutes or so when I went in back I could hardly believe how warm it was back there. Bingo! Then I also learned to set the ceiling fan so it blows up in the winter and down in the summer. It still sounds backward to me but it works.

So do not think that a stove won't heat more than one room. Naturally it depends a lot on the stove, the size and the fuel you burn. Speaking of that, if you don't already have your fuel put up, you could be in trouble your first year. Wood needs time to dry and do not ever expect to buy dry wood from a dealer. It very, very rarely happens. Expect that wood to be almost freshly cut and it can give you fits that first year. Also, stay away from oak in your first years of wood heating. It is indeed one of the very best but it takes a long, long time to get rid of the moisture and until we learn how to burn water, stick with dry wood.

Good luck.

Do they have trees in Ireland? Some sort of public forest? Do you burn peat?

Thanks all,

Very helpful advice and, yes, we do not have trees in Ireland but unforunately our government are attempting to sell off some of our more beautiful public forests! That is another story. Peat briqettes would also be a popular fuel source.

I have another question about soapstone (is it worth the extra investment) but will start a new thread.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.