Is it time to break out the sweeping equipment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r_d_gard

Nov 9, 2009
Maryland - USA
www.cff.org
Hi,

Took advantage of the mild day to climb up onto the roof and look down the chimney. Removed the cap, turned it upside down, took a couple of photos, moved it and then took a couple of more photos of the 6" liner (24' long). It is going to get cleaned this afternoon or tommorow morning.

Here is my question:

Is this type of build up good or bad. I do not know. I have never swept my own chimney before (had the sweep do it for a price yet now have my own equipment) and really don't know what I'm looking at. I know creosote is bad, yet I don't know what it looks like.

Could you guys offer some opinions as to what you see.

Thanks

Ray

Attachments

• SDC10174.jpg
    SDC10174.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 309
  • SDC10175.jpg
    SDC10175.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 304
  • SDC10176.jpg
    SDC10176.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 301
  • SDC10177.jpg
    SDC10177.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 308
  • SDC10178.jpg
    SDC10178.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 285
  • SDC10180.jpg
    SDC10180.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 293
Looks better than mine did. My cap was pretty nasty and that led me to cleaning chimney/installing my cleanout T. I'd say you would have been OK

A clean chimney is a happy chimney. I clean my SS chimney once a month with a polyester bristle brush. One time I let it go 2 months and the build up of creosote reduced the upward flow enough to allow smoke to drift out of the stove. I put news paper or a bucket under the chimney clean out so I know how much creosote was clinging to the walls of the chimney, you may be surprised! Wearing a filter mask makes this project much more enjoyable.

Cleaned mine last weekend. Looked exactly like yours. In fact, I have the exact same cap. Watch the holes in the "screened" area, They try to plug up. You will see better and worse. The bottom line is, no build up can't catch on fire and cause a chimney fire. Although some burning EPA stoves seem to have no build up at all, others of us do have some. I have an old stove and always get some, but I clean when I have about what your pictures are showing and I have never had a chimney fire in 30+ years. The SHINY stuff is the worst!

Well done! Glad you got the job completed in the milder weather.

It is very reassuring to know the flue has been inspected and cleaned.

I did my mid-season cleaning today.

I wouldn't have done it if I had known how little needed to be swept (less than a Dixie cup).
However, that's the problem. One doesn't know until one looks. As long as I was up there
with all the rods and brush, might as well do something. It's definitely reassuring and puts
one's mind at peace to take a good look.

Status
Not open for further replies.