Is it worth buying a Used Gas Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffn74

Oct 5, 2010
Central California
I have a 2400 sq ft. house with 10ft ceilings and I am looking into getting a gas insert for keeping the living room warm during the evenings and weekends during the winter. This will supplement my already existing gas furnace. My house is relatively new construction (build 2004) and it is well insulated. The existing wood fireplace already has a gas line installed. The model for the fireplace is a BR-42 from superior. http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/products/overview.asp?pid=314

I have been looking at the price of used gas inserts on craigslist and have found them to be much cheaper than buying new. I could easily get a local contractor to do the install and come out ahead! I have found a b-vent model (Osburn KA) for a good price, but I have heard about the drafting problems of b-vents as well as there lower efficiency when compared to direct vent. Would this be a bad choice or should I keep shopping until I find a direct vent?

If it was going into MY house, I wouldn't THINK of putting a used gas burning appliance in.
You have NO IDEA how that unit was used (or abused) or how well it was maintained.
A new insert can give you many years of comfortable heating.
A used one may give you nothing but headaches & one cause of those headaches may be carbon monoxide...
You want heat. Would you EVER consider replacing your furnace/boiler with a USED one?
My $.02

I think you'd be better off seeing if a local hearth dealer/distributor has some old stock or discontinued product that's getting dusty on their warehouse floor. Or maybe they removed a used one from their showroom and can offer you full warranty. The clock doesn't start ticking on our warranty until we install it in a client's home.

Status
Not open for further replies.