Issues concerns with 2021 Jotuls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2006
I'm soon moving into a new house next door to my current home and may need a larger stove than I now use (Jotul f400) but I'm going to hook the f400 up to the chimney already installed in the new build to see how it does and give me idea of what size stove might work.

The f400 heats beautifully, is simple to use, and after 14 years of being the primary heater for us is still in great shape, so Jotul had me hooked and I had planned on either the f500 or f55 depending on how the f400 heated the new build and what the increased heating demand might be.

I've heard some concerns though regarding Jotul's 2021 design changes - particularly the f500 - and wonder if it's prudent to wait a bit longer for them to iron out any issues... if the issues are much of a concern. I'm confident that the f400 can heat the new space, but only with frequent loading and higher temp. burns.

Thanks, Daniel

I'm soon moving into a new house next door to my current home and may need a larger stove than I now use (Jotul f400) but I'm going to hook the f400 up to the chimney already installed in the new build to see how it does and give me idea of what size stove might work.

The f400 heats beautifully, is simple to use, and after 14 years of being the primary heater for us is still in great shape, so Jotul had me hooked and I had planned on either the f500 or f55 depending on how the f400 heated the new build and what the increased heating demand might be.

I've heard some concerns though regarding Jotul's 2021 design changes - particularly the f500 - and wonder if it's prudent to wait a bit longer for them to iron out any issues... if the issues are much of a concern. I'm confident that the f400 can heat the new space, but only with frequent loading and higher temp. burns.

Thanks, Daniel
Personally I would wait a bit longer

Reactions: dvellone
I agree. The F45 and F55 have simple design improvements and are working well. The F500 has more complex changes that experienced some failures with the large cat in some stoves. Makes me wonder if they would have been better off having two smaller cats instead of the one, stove-wide cat.

I agree. The F45 and F55 have simple design improvements and are working well. The F500 has more complex changes that experienced some failures with the large cat in some stoves. Makes me wonder if they would have been better off having two smaller cats instead of the one, stove-wide cat.
Yes my concerns are really only with the 500

The f500 was actually the stove I had planned on if it would fit the heating need. My brother's been heating with one for quite a few years now and it impressed me. I more recently looked at the f55 and realized it could work a little better with the hearth. All this is somewhat premature since I have a good opportunity do a heating trial with the f400, but it's a disappointment that such a great stove now has some desigm issues.
Thanks for the replies and advice, Daniel

The f500 was actually the stove I had planned on if it would fit the heating need. My brother's been heating with one for quite a few years now and it impressed me. I more recently looked at the f55 and realized it could work a little better with the hearth. All this is somewhat premature since I have a good opportunity do a heating trial with the f400, but it's a disappointment that such a great stove now has some desigm issues.
Thanks for the replies and advice, Daniel
I agree it is certainly a disappointment

It's particularly sad because Jotul reduced its US offerings substantially. Try the F400, It's a great looking stove and you may find it heats the new place well.

The f400 heats beautifully, is simple to use, and after 14 years of being the primary heater for us is still in great shape
I’m pretty sure if I needed something bigger than my F400 it would not be a jotul. Probably a Pacific Energy. I think the T5 or T6 are the closest looking and simple designs. I like the stainless baffle (the f400 almost has to be because you hit it every time you load) it’s a rugged design with no baffle board that can break.

I’m pretty sure if I needed something bigger than my F400 it would not be a jotul. Probably a Pacific Energy. I think the T5 or T6 are the closest looking and simple designs. I like the stainless baffle (the f400 almost has to be because you hit it every time you load) it’s a rugged design with no baffle board that can break.
New design issues with the f500 aside, why wouldn't you consider it or the f55 if you needed to go larger than the f400? Thanks, Daniel

New design issues with the f500 aside, why wouldn't you consider it or the f55 if you needed to go larger than the f400? Thanks, Daniel
I don’t have any good reason. Swing out trivets? EB2 on the PE is a neat very simple feature where the secondary air is regulated (I think it’s on the T5-t6 stoves. I really like my F400. I’m kinda mad at jotul for not figuring out how to make a full cast stove meet 2020 emissions without a cat. It probably more that than anything.

It's particularly sad because Jotul reduced its US offerings substantially. Try the F400, It's a great looking stove and you may find it heats the new place well.
Agreed, my local stove shop that’s been around a long while is a strong Jotul dealer. None of the previous inserts made it past 2020. I’m sure they aren’t thrilled with any issues with one of their big sellers. Was just in there this weekend getting ideas for an upcoming move.

What issues have people been seeing with the Jotul f500 v3 ?
I have one. Hard to see what not to like. Huge firebox, takes 22" long split easy, side load. No damper, so light it, leave side door cracked for 5 maybe 10 mins, close it and walk away. Looks great. The one thing that seems weird to me is, even when trying, I can't get stove top temp above 450 F.
I don't need it above that, but it simply wont go. Usually at 350-400 max. We run a ceiling fan, heats the bottom floor of our 3500 sq ft ol d house with acres of glass windows. No HVAC on, ever. Not cheap, but seems to do what it was sold to do.

I have one. Hard to see what not to like. Huge firebox, takes 22" long split easy, side load. No damper, so light it, leave side door cracked for 5 maybe 10 mins, close it and walk away. Looks great. The one thing that seems weird to me is, even when trying, I can't get stove top temp above 450 F.
I don't need it above that, but it simply wont go. Usually at 350-400 max. We run a ceiling fan, heats the bottom floor of our 3500 sq ft ol d house with acres of glass windows. No HVAC on, ever. Not cheap, but seems to do what it was sold to do.
The concern many of us have is durability.

What issues have people been seeing with the Jotul f500 v3 ?
Some of the first stoves had serious cat failures with warped cats. It should be noted there is suspicion of user error with the ashpan door not closed tightly.

Nothing's going to answer that except time.
Yes, that's why it's great to hear from F500 v3 owners. We are all learning about this one.

Nothing's going to answer that except time. However, the ease of use...no damper to open or close... makes it a pretty easy stove to use. Of course, the EPA tax deduction is a nice bonus.
Yeah you are right. We have had some bad reports so far only time will tell if that will be the norm with them or not.

I purchased an f500 v3 recently, it's always been my dream stove and was time to pull the trigger. Absolutely love it! Was burning a 3cb for 20 years, and loved that stove, so had to stay with a Jotul. And lets face it, F500 prettiest girl on the block. I've had no issues. Bmorgan, i've been getting 550-650 range stove top temps with no issue, I haven't let it go higher than that, wood has been seasoned two years.

Thanks for the post Levy. Good to hear its performing well. I looked at Jotul stoves and had the same questions as the OP. I had an interest in Jotul, but didnt find as many reviews as I'd have liked. i think there is 1 on the f55v2, a few on the f45v2 and f500v3. i prefer to see reviews by someone who has owned it for a few years or more and can speak to its durability as well as how it functions and to how the dealer or mfg responded to issues if there were any.

Thanks for the post Levy. Good to hear its performing well. I looked at Jotul stoves and had the same questions as the OP. I had an interest in Jotul, but didnt find as many reviews as I'd have liked. i think there is 1 on the f55v2, a few on the f45v2 and f500v3. i prefer to see reviews by someone who has owned it for a few years or more and can speak to its durability as well as how it functions and to how the dealer or mfg responded to issues if there were any.
The problem is no one has owned one for a few years. Only time will tell if the issues were really caused by bad parts to start. I hope so

I have a new jotul f500 v3. We just installed it in March 2021 and used it a couple months. Until this season we’ve been using it. It’s never gotten hotter than recommended in the manual.

I’ve been noticed problems the last week or so and finally last night I discovered I have a warped cat and something cracked at the top of the inside.

It’s been smoking a lot more lately and acting weird. Very disappointed this didn’t even last a year without a catastrophic failure.

According to the manual...you need to send jotul a letter in writing... dealer should replace stove.

According to the manual...you need to send jotul a letter in writing... dealer should replace stove.
Wow. Really? Sending a letter seems a little prehistoric.

I’m gonna call the dealer on Monday. I hope they’re helpful but it’s a small little place an hour from here and they’ve not been very helpful in the past at all.

We paid like $3500 for this.

If they approve a new stove under warranty would you think they cover installing it and stuff or is it on us to get this heavy thing out of here and a new one brought down?