Issues connecting to LP DHW?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warm in VT

Sep 24, 2008
Northern Vt
All hooked up and ready to go with e-classic. A friend stopped by yesterday who works on propane systems and saw that the plumber had connected my Hx to the propane hot water heater. He advised I will be replacing my heater or at least the sensor as it is only rated to go to 140' instead of the 180' of the water coming into it now. Does anyone have experience with this. My plumber advised it shouldn't be an issue????? WHo to believe. I am considering dialing back the heat at the furnace in an attempt to keep all running properly and not fry my DHW sensor. Any suggestions, of course now it is all plumbed and hooked up!

warm in VT said:
All hooked up and ready to go with e-classic. A friend stopped by yesterday who works on propane systems and saw that the plumber had connected my Hx to the propane hot water heater. He advised I will be replacing my heater or at least the sensor as it is only rated to go to 140' instead of the 180' of the water coming into it now. Does anyone have experience with this. My plumber advised it shouldn't be an issue????? WHo to believe. I am considering dialing back the heat at the furnace in an attempt to keep all running properly and not fry my DHW sensor. Any suggestions, of course now it is all plumbed and hooked up!

Hi "warm in VT",

Your friend may have a good point. I don't know. But my boiler heated water comes into my house and goes directly to my LP dhw then my furnace air/water heat exchanger. It's been hooked up that way for almost three years. I heat my dhw with my boiler year round. About a month ago I shut my boiler down to clean and prep it for the up coming heating season. The LP dhw worked as it was supposed to. Last year I did much the same thing and the LP dhw worked fine. My LP dhw is old and may not be as sensitive as yours or maybe it just doesn't know it isn't supposed to work after being exposed to all that heat. Now that I know I think I'll keep it secret. In the mean time I'd be thankful I have a friend looking out for my interests...Cave2k

I have a hard time imaging that a temperature sensor rated at 140 deg can't do 180 deg. I would get the manual for the heater (especially the service manual) and see just what type of sensor it is and its limitation.

Mike

Thanks for the input. This is one of those deals where you get different answers from different knowledgable people. so which do you go with? The plumber advised it should be fine as you both pointed out. The "friend" is an LP technician and also does plumbing and he was the second one I had heard about the issue of problems with LP H20 heaters. Seeing as mine is all plumbed and ready to go I guess I will hope for the best and I will try to find that manual as well. It came with the house but I will try to find one online. It is only a few years old, hopefully it will be available there. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.