I've officially settled on an Ashford 30.1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep the cat active, close the by pass and lock it down. Check flue in 30 days. (This is just to reassure you all is well.) Then check it each year. Burn verified dry wood. (Buy a moisture meter)
Does the cheapie at Harbor Freight do a good enough job? I assume it's basically just an ohm-meter that does the math for you...

Is that a basketball on the floor at the bottom of the stairs? You might want to pick that up so no one trips on it!
More seriously, I agree that getting air circulating thru the bedroom may help a lot.

Does the cheapie at Harbor Freight do a good enough job? I assume it's basically just an ohm-meter that does the math for you...
They are decent and provide a basic idea.

I have one of them and it agrees with my neighbor's big bucks one in his woodworking shop.

Is that a basketball on the floor at the bottom of the stairs? You might want to pick that up so no one trips on it!
More seriously, I agree that getting air circulating thru the bedroom may help a lot.
That's a dog bowl. It has a tendency to end up in different places after it's done being licked clean.

You are going to love the Ashford, an absolutely controlable wood stove that behaves more like a furnace. Have any idea how to adjust the loading door? Does the side plate need to be removed?

You are going to love the Ashford, an absolutely controlable wood stove that behaves more like a furnace. Have any idea how to adjust the loading door? Does the side plate need to be removed?
I'm not sure, there may be some info in another thread. I'm hoping that a new one won't require any adjustments, but I guess we'll find out.

I'm not sure, there may be some info in another thread. I'm hoping that a new one won't require any adjustments, but I guess we'll find out.

I just installed mine this weekend. It did not require any adjustment. The sucker is HEAVY! We had 3 guys and a stair climbing dolly, and we still had trouble getting it up the steps. Bring some friends if you're doing the install.

I just installed mine this weekend. It did not require any adjustment. The sucker is HEAVY! We had 3 guys and a stair climbing dolly, and we still had trouble getting it up the steps. Bring some friends if you're doing the install.
Thanks, I will. I just talked to a couple guys about it this morning in fact. Did you do a break-in fire outdoors?

The Ashford is listed at 500 pounds, the heaviest of all BK stoves! This truly smooths out the heat flow. I ask about the door adjustment because I get a little smoke into the house. It seems to be coming from the front top where the heated air comes out. It can't be the cat thermometer as the combustion chamber is -.055" water column (in the negative). I don't see how it could leak out the door either but it is something to do/check. Right now it is too hot to check. I used to work in HVAC for many years and have a gage (Magnehelic) that will measure these faint pressures.

Thanks, I will. I just talked to a couple guys about it this morning in fact. Did you do a break-in fire outdoors?

I did the break-in indoors; the brochure lists it as non-toxic, but irritating. I would have concur. Make sure you have DRY wood. My first fire was with my subpar wood (25% avg moisture), and I was unable to get the stovetop up to 600 degrees. It cured some (smoked and was stinky), but it continued to stink. Only after I got some really dry wood and burned it hot did the smell finally go away altogether.

The Ashford is listed at 500 pounds, the heaviest of all BK stoves! This truly smooths out the heat flow. I ask about the door adjustment because I get a little smoke into the house. It seems to be coming from the front top where the heated air comes out. It can't be the cat thermometer as the combustion chamber is -.055" water column (in the negative). I don't see how it could leak out the door either but it is something to do/check. Right now it is too hot to check. I used to work in HVAC for many years and have a gage (Magnehelic) that will measure these faint pressures.
I would think the whole firebox would be negative during a burn, but you're still smelling smoke. Is it for sure a wood smoke smell? Or could it be something burning off the exterior?

I did the break-in indoors; the brochure lists it as non-toxic, but irritating. I would have concur. Make sure you have DRY wood. My first fire was with my subpar wood (25% avg moisture), and I was unable to get the stovetop up to 600 degrees. It cured some (smoked and was stinky), but it continued to stink. Only after I got some really dry wood and burned it hot did the smell finally go away altogether.
Thanks for the tips. I think I'll pick up a moisture meter to go with my IR thermometer. I'll probably try to break it in outside. I think the wife would tend to worry about the fumes a lot since we have a 7 month old.

Reactions: Heftiger
Yes it is wood smoke smell, the paint is done outgassing. With the stove down to coals, I removed the top. The smell is coming from the loading door hinge area. Tomorrow I will let the fire run out and inspect. I discussed this with Dave at A-1 Stoves and he will come out tomorrow to check it out too. Great service from both A-1 and Blaze King (BKVP). These people care.

Reactions: Heatsource
Santa was running a little late this year, but look what I got to go pick up on Monday! Unloading it from the pickup by myself took a little creativity...

IMG_20151228_203920.jpg

My dollies are on loan to a friend who moved recently, but with some pieces of PVC, I was able to roll it outside for a break-in burn. I've got a 7-month old in the house, so the less burning paint we have indoors the better!

It's cruising in the active zone for the first time, and the cat is visibly glowing even outdoors! I've seen a good amount of paint smoke rolling out from between the cast iron outer jacket and the steel fire box. I don't know if I'll be able to the outer surface of the cast iron hot enough to cure though. I suppose if I get it to a typical "hot" temp, that will probably do the trick sufficiently enough.

IMG_20151230_110502.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good!

Status
Not open for further replies.