Jøtul 3 Install in Masonry Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NoSam

Jan 19, 2018
Rhode Island
I will be installing a Jøtul 3 into an existing masonry chimney over the summer. The stove is set up to vent out of the back. My question is do I use a tee with a clean out, a 90° or two 45°'s to make the first turn up? I am going to run stainless steel single wall up the entire length of the chimney. I think this will give me a better draft and be easier to clean. Does running a tee with clean out screw up the draw at all? Also when I get to the top of the chimney with the stainless pipe do I run it a little long then cap it then put a cover over the open terra-cotta liner?

Jøtel3_Install.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had this done at my house with the same stove. We used a tee with cleanout on the bottom and the s/s liner exits the top of the chimney and over that and the clay flue sits a cap to prevent rain, or whatever from going into the flue tile.
We had a length of about 20' from stove to top of chimney and we have no problem with draft.
Love this little stove, it throws off great heat.

I will be installing a Jøtul 3 into an existing masonry chimney over the summer. The stove is set up to vent out of the back. My question is do I use a tee with a clean out, a 90° or two 45°'s to make the first turn up? I am going to run stainless steel single wall up the entire length of the chimney. I think this will give me a better draft and be easier to clean. Does running a tee with clean out screw up the draw at all? Also when I get to the top of the chimney with the stainless pipe do I run it a little long then cap it then put a cover over the open terra-cotta liner?

View attachment 221120
Use a T. Always.

The liner needs to come out of the top plate enough to be clamped and a storm collar installed. It should not rise any further than necessary for the collar or cap to be placed as it will be the coldest part of the flue and have the most creosote build up. Usually.

Tomorrow I will be looking at a Jøtul 3 in ivory with the spin wheel draft control in middle of door. I believe it’s 1983-88... will post photos if it follows me home. I too am putting this 3 in a fireplace and it’s on the first floor going in a 13”X13” terra-cotta about 12-13’ with a SS mesh and cap on top. I want to just run the flue up a couple of feet into the fireplace venting into the terra-cotta. Seems it would be fine as I have been seeing stove pipe ran into the outside of a fireplace chimney and stop at that point. Can’t find the specifics on this early spin draft, what size logs? I do know it’s small. Would like to see the exploded view to see what parts I need or don’t.
Thanks team.
Update;
I appreciate all the help with my VC Res, it’s venting from the basement fireplace on a different 13X13” , no 6” flex just into the start of the chimney that’s in the middle of the cottage. And I think it’s working well. But could be wrong . I get it blazing hot to 550 F and bring the handle down so to use the flames to burn the gases and 70% of the time it work and stays hot at 400 -450 F , better wood better results. Air on lower left is open full and top back thrmastate air inlet is open too. Can get and have good coals after 7-8 hours so that makes me happy. 800 sf basement, 950sf main floor. Attic above main. All new windows, doors with storms doors.

Start a new thread on the Jotul 3 in the Classics Forum. There are several postings there already for this model.