Jotul 118 B Interior Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TufMud

Dec 11, 2018
oregon
Hello Just joined and Searched for this Topic but did not find it

I Have a Jotul 118B in Good Shape other then the Interior Liners that were Warped. I removed and have Cleaned up the Stove and I'm thinking of Options for Replacement. This will not be a House Stove but I will be putting it in my Shop

Rather then Buying the Jotul Replacements that Run Quite Expense I figured I could buy some Fire Bricks that run for nothing and Line the Interior with that. The other Option is to Build the Liners Myself out of Steel.

Question is would the Fire Brick Cause any Issues? I can't think of any myself but I'm in no way an expert.
All The Wood Stoves I've Owned use Fire Brick and are Steel so I'm not sure what the Effect using in a Cast Iron would be, if any. I can only Assume it may reduce the Heat that is put out of the Stove by insulating the interior to much but if I get a Thinner Brick I would suspect I can reduce that.

Any info would be greatly thank you for your time

This is the same stove I have. I'm not sure how firebrick would work if replacing the two side burn plates. It might not allow air to move through the firebox as it would with the steel plates as the burn plates have a little bit of space between them and the sides of the stove. I think it's a pretty well engineered stove for it's time and if you have the ability to build the burn plates yourself that's what I would do to run the stove the way it was designed to be run.

Is it just the two side plates that are warped or is it also the upper baffle? If the baffle is damaged too, I think you will definitely need some sort of steel baffle in place at the top of the firebox for the stove to work correctly. I'm guessing you'll probably damage the stove if that's not in place as flames aren't meant to go directly into that upper chamber/heat exchanger.