Jotul 8 - front grill not fitting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

circlefx

Apr 30, 2018
Maine
Hi folks,
just picked up a second one of these.. my first is in my home and we love it. This is the original with the spin draft on the front.
The second one we just purchased for my parents home and it was even cleaner than the one we got, but there is an issue.

When I put the log/ash retainer grill in place and try and close the door, the glass touches the grill just as the door is closing. We already had to replace the glass (expensive! $160!) because the first one cracked.

I'm pretty confident that internal baffles are all installed correctly and the bottom plate is sitting where it should.
Also, I compared the front grill in the new one to the one in my stove and they're identical.
What could be causing this lack of clearance!?
Stumped, in Maine.
Thanks!!

Is this the part?
1168177.jpg

If this is the part it drops into place behind the two positioning bumps in the bottom burn plate. Make sure it is not backward.

Last edited:
Very common thing for log retainers of Jotuls to bow outward slightly (check stove burn temp too that can cause this bowing), people breaking glass mysteriously usually gets this issue noticed. Not a large space in between glass and log retainer when they aren't bowed. Worn gaskets in the door exasperates this problem too sometimes when the door is pulled even closer inward by the worn gasket. I've seen people break 2-3 pieces of glass on Jotul 3's before someone at the store realizing the problem, but can happen with 8's too... the retainer that BG has in the pix is upside down too fyi.