Jotul F118 mystery part

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whd

Sep 13, 2019
British Columbia
Hi love the stoves you picked out.

I think u will find the the 118 firebox size 50% larger than the other 2.

This will effect your output and burn time.

The sidewall setbacks might throw your plans off a bit. Take a look at those specs.

Additionally you will find convective type stoves will have less setbacks than the radiants.

Joyful has a upright convective stove and morso a few as well that might fit in the setback space.

We have a morso 8142 for ambiance supplemental coziness and burn it almost every night. But it does need reloading a little bit too often with a smallish firebox. Approx 1 cu ft

Have fun choosing.

Just bought and installed a Jotul F118. This piece was left over--it was sitting in the fire box. No idea what it's for. Nor does my dealer! Ideas?
jotul F118.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
A guess would be an air slider valve, perhaps for an alternate market like Europe?

A guess would be an air slider valve, perhaps for an alternate market like Europe?

The parts manual refers to an air slider valve but offers no advice about where/how to install it. Any Black Bear users out there know the answer? Not sure what role is played by such a valve. Or if it's necessary or useful.

When we got our F400 there was a mystery part which turned out to be a doghouse cover for the air slider valve for the European market. That is why I speculated this may be a similar situation.

When we got our F400 there was a mystery part which turned out to be a doghouse cover for the air slider valve for the European market. That is why I speculated this may be a similar situation.
That’s sent with every 400. I’ve never seen the piece included with this 118.

Nor I, it's just a guess.