Jotul F118

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2014
Mass
I have an older Jotul F118. I am trying to get it up and running and I cant seem to figure out what size door gasket to use. The new manual says Door Gasket Size: LD 360mm. LD means low density but I am not sure what 360 MM means? I have been online trying to figure this out. I bought what looked right and when I installed it I couldn't close the door, so I know it was too large.

The next question I have is the stove has a crack on each side, which from what I have read, many get this. I have cleaned it and used mortar and done the light test and it seems like the crack is sealed. Will this work?

Welcome to the forum!

As your cast iron expands and contracts the crack will open up again. The cracks will keep you from controlling the burn as you can't control how much air enters the stove.

You might be able to find somebody who can braise it, but there is no guarantee it will hold. The stove was run hard. It is what it is.

As for the gasket, try stretching it longer to thin it out a bit. Maybe you can thin it out enough to work.

Welcome to the forum!

As your cast iron expands and contracts the crack will open up again. The cracks will keep you from controlling the burn as you can't control how much air enters the stove.

You might be able to find somebody who can braise it, but there is no guarantee it will hold. The stove was run hard. It is what it is.

As for the gasket, try stretching it longer to thin it out a bit. Maybe you can thin it out enough to work.

I took out the gasket and chucked it. Waste was a few bucks. I am going try to call a local dealer of jotul. I have found these online jotul repair kits and they have two much thinner caskets, but none of the same which ones.

Thank you for your advice about tje cracks. This is a basemen stove that won't be used often. I will have to keep putting Stove mortar on it.

I took out the gasket and chucked it. Waste was a few bucks. I am going try to call a local dealer of jotul. I have found these online jotul repair kits and they have two much thinner caskets, but none of the same which ones.

Thank you for your advice about tje cracks. This is a basemen stove that won't be used often. I will have to keep putting Stove mortar on it.

I stopped in a Woodstove store in NH that carriers the jotul. The old f118 takes a 1/4 high density cord. I used a 3/8 low density. Hence the reason I couldn't close the door.

I suspect 360mm is the length and means it is 14.1" long, but that sounds too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.