Jotul F400 Double Door vs Single Door Used

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluefin039

Jan 29, 2016
Niantic, CT
I have been looking to get a used F400 and recently found a good deal on an older double door F400. I was originally only considering the single door designs.

I am looking for any advice as the differences between the two models and if the single door design is much better and worth holding out for.

The double door Jotul is $600 less than any of the newer single door stoves I have found and is still in great shape.

If the stove is in great condition that's a nice price. Some prefer the double door and others don't. It's an extra seam to be sure doesn't leak, but not that big a deal.

A couple advantages to double doors: 1) If you happen to break the glass in the door odds are you would only break on panel on a double door setup and the replacement glass would likely be less expensive. 2) Double doors are going to weigh less, thus putting less stress on the hinges. Most folks with Oslos use the side door for loading due to ash spilling out when the front door/s are used, so if you fall into that category you won't put much wear on the hinges with either door setup.

Hi Bluefin- from an operational standpoint, there is little difference in double door vs single. Aesthetically, most people prefer the single door with the handle attached, sales went up tremendously after the single door debuted. Part of that was probably the fact was Jotul didn't do a great job with the double door latch. It looked almost unfinished, it wasn't recessed like the firelights' was- it looked kinda hokey. The handle to close the doors wasn't anything to write home about either. Internally, I think the stoves are still almost identical. As for the glass, the single door glass is about 165.00, the double door version is around 65.00 each piece. In most peoples' opinion, the single door version looks like a "normal Jotul"..... but if its a great deal,,,, your call of course.

We got our Castine a little after the transition. Funny thing is I really wanted the double-door back then, but the single door was all I could find for sale. The single door ended up being fine, but it takes a larger swing to clear room for loading.

Status
Not open for further replies.