Jotul F55 rust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snosurfa7

Mar 25, 2009
VA
New only used one season Jotul F55 (about 6 months).

Is this normal rust on a steel box stove? One pic is under the fire brick inside the stove; the other I have similar rust spots on the bottom outside of the stove localized only to each corner. Seems to be surface rust but why (especially the outside rust)? No chimney water leaks.

Burned 4 years with a Jotul 3CB never saw anything like this although that stove was all cast iron.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    482.4 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    448.1 KB · Views: 250
Might just be this is a damp year for you? Heat + steel = accelerated oxidation. Brush down and spray some cooking oil on it for the summer.

Thanks...always pretty wet where I live. I talked with Jotul they said they have never heard of a steel box rusting through; it does just look like surface rust guess I'll just sand it down, do the oil thing and keep an eye on it.

we use wd40 not cooking oil i found that when proplr use cooking oil if they get it on the outside of the stove it leaves a residue wd40 does not. But inside either will work fine

Status
Not open for further replies.