Jotul Greenville Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RI_FL_Line

Oct 12, 2022
Rhode Island
Last fall I had a Jotul Greenville stove installed in my fireplace. The installer left the flu collar in the top exit position and had a hard time connecting to the existing liner but finally got it done. I have been happy with the stove but after installation I read a bit more about this stoves installation and I would have preferred he used the rear exit flu collar with a tee pipe to making cleanings easier and this would also allow the stove to sit further out on the hearth. He came back recently to do this but left with my stove disconnected as he didn’t have the required tee part. His office emailed me a few days later and he said his supplier does not make a 5 ½” liner tee with a 6” snout to connect to the stove so he could not do what I wanted. He said he could give me an estimate for a new 6” liner which will be expensive. Reading the manual it does state that 6” single wall or 6” double wall should pipe be used. It appears that my liner is 5 1/2” rather than 6”. I’m not quite sure what I should do at this point. Any suggestions?

Could you just connect the liner directly to the rear stove collar without the tee? Where it comes time to clean just disconnect, tape a plastic bag over the liner and sweep the chimney into the bag. If not there are adapters online, maybe if you purchase one they will install it. A good place to look is Rockford Chimney supply.

How’s the stove working out? I have the same stove and love it.

Reactions: bigealta
Reactions: stovelark
Could be a couple things. If the installer is being really diligent, they may have some concerns about connecting a different manufacturer’s component to the installation.
Or perhaps, they’re not interested getting involved in a smaller project like this.
Who knows.

I suppose the option is still there to go back to top exit. Yearly cleaning should be not be very difficult. It’s not like you were dealing with a non functional stove setup before.

Last edited:
Could be a couple things. If the installer is being really diligent, they may have some concerns about connecting a different manufacturer’s component to the installation.
Or perhaps, they’re not interested getting involved in a smaller project like this.
Who knows.

I suppose the option is still there to go back to top exit. Yearly cleaning should be not be very difficult. It’s not like you were dealing with a non functional stove setup before.
Read the manual for the F45. I would never recommend a top vented hearth installation for this stove. Cleaning means that the stove for all intents and purposes must be disconnected from the liner and moved out of the fireplace for cleaning.

Will do. I would’ve figured that the top vent cleaning would be a lot easier, like other Jotuls

Last edited:
Reactions: EbS-P
Thanks. I’m sending him this.
Does the installers response make sense?
“No unfortunately this would make 3 different parts from 3 different

manufactures with no guarantee that they would all work together.

We do not like to mix and match different products and sizes

because we do not feel it is safe.”

Does the installers response make sense?
“No unfortunately this would make 3 different parts from 3 different

manufactures with no guarantee that they would all work together.

We do not like to mix and match different products and sizes

because we do not feel it is safe.”
Paging @bholler and @begreen

Could you just connect the liner directly to the rear stove collar without the tee? Where it comes time to clean just disconnect, tape a plastic bag over the liner and sweep the chimney into the bag. If not there are adapters online, maybe if you purchase one they will install it. A good place to look is Rockford Chimney supply.

How’s the stove working out? I have the same stove and love it.
I also love the stove.

I honestly have never seen a 5.5 tee that didn't have a 6" snout. The guy is full of crap