Jotul install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

M1Greg

Sep 8, 2010
MI
First of all hello to everyone. I have been lurking for the past couple of months while trying to decide on a replacement epa certified stove to take the place of our current setup. Lots of good info on this site!

Here's the setup: 1700sqft ranch, 2x4 construction with minimum insulation. The woodstove is in the great room which is 15' x 30' with 14' cathederal ceilings. Southern facing wall with the stove is mostly double glazed glass all the way to the ceiling. The wall behind the stove is cultured stone ontop of the cinderblock chimmney as far as I can tell with the flue pass through about 10' off the floor. The flue is clay lined with about 12" flues. The floor plan is open into the kitchen area with just a partial wall / breakfast bar and a central hall leading down to the 3 bedrooms with the master having matching cathedral ceiling. Ceiling fans in both the great room and MBr.
We heat with natural gas but miss the feel of the wood stove which hasen't been used in 6yrs.

We are leaning toward the Jotul brand Oslo vs the Castine one place recommended. (The feature of the side load and the bigger firebox appeal to me while my wife likes the looks better.)
Pricing between 3 stores has been pretty consistent ( pretty much at retail.) Where the variance comes in is in install. Here all three had different takes on what is needed.

Dealer one is leaning toward the smaller castine with heat sheild and double wall pipe to the flue which will be a wrapped s.s. liner.
Dealer two is saying either stove (though he was hot on the Lopi Leyden) and we could probably get by with single wall inside but should get old flue lined. Heat shield not needed.
Dealer three is saying Oslo is better match with all the windows and he would definately line flue with insulated s.s. liner and would leave it up to me if I wanted double wall or Single wall pipe inside. He also dosen't think I need the heat shield on the back of the stove but though I should try to remove the thimble? to verify if it is truely a non combustable wall.

Here's a pic of the current set up.

Thoughs on stove size and single wall / double wall interior pipe?

Attachments

• Fireplace 002a.jpg
    Fireplace 002a.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 494
looks like fuax stone, so not combustible, but prolly not an approved heatshield if no air spaces were installed.
measure thru the stone to nearest combustibles behind it for your rear clearance

but. why would you want to get rid of that radical stove??

Greetings Greg. That is a stunning setup. Very cool looking stove.

I'm with dealer #3. The Castine or Leyden may get balky or spill smoke with 3 90's in the flue path. Dealer 3's suggestion of getting everything to 6" is a good plan and the Oslo is a great stove.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
looks like fuax stone, so not combustible, but prolly not an approved heatshield if no air spaces were installed.
measure thru the stone to nearest combustibles behind it for your rear clearance

but. why would you want to get rid of that radical stove??

The stone is cemented to the cinderblock chimmney behind which is 54" wide. The nearest combustable is the wall to the side of the stone. We used to have roaring fires in that stove and it is located 3" from the stone.
That "Radical stove" is a eyesore in the opinion of my wife.

I'm curious, how well does it work as a heater? Who made the stove? I know I've seen it before, but can't place it.

BeGreen said:
I'm curious, how well does it work as a heater? Who made the stove? I know I've seen it before, but can't place it.

Okay had to search for the info. Maker Greenbriar Products of Madison, Wi The stove was slow to get going, I don't think the flue setup was optimal. ( 8" flue dumping into a cold clay liner. ) I used to prop the door to get the fire roaring and sometimes had to leave it open to get enough air to keep the fire going. ( wood wasn't seasoned. ) One the fire was going it kept my front great room toasty at 83' F.
Had a picture of the plate for insurance reasons.

Attachments

• Old Wood Stove Manufactuer.jpg
    Old Wood Stove Manufactuer.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 374
Okay, decision made.

Going with dealer 3, Oslo in flat black. Having a custom hearth riser built and tiled.
Will take pics as it all happens.

Good choice. Whats up with that thimble beeing so high up? It's going to be a pain cleaning that system. How hard would it be to move that down?

Greeting Greg.
That sure is a radical stove.
Looks like you have to bend all the way down to feed it.

Never heard of the manufacturer before.

Todd said:
Good choice. Whats up with that thimble beeing so high up? It's going to be a pain cleaning that system. How hard would it be to move that down?

I like that set up. Pain to clean, but think of all the heat that will radiate off of that pipe into the room instead of outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.