Jotul Oslo/Magnaflex install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOslo

Aug 26, 2006
Hi,
I'm new to the forums, and am also installing a Jotul Oslo into my existing fireplace. Using a Magnaflex Flexible liner kit, I'm at the point where I am dry-fitting the connection of the T to the stove while awaiting a piece of granite for a hearth extension to be cut. I'm also waiting for the damper block-off plate to be finished, as well.

The problem I am having is that when I attempt to insert the T into the smoke outlet, the resistance is greater than I would expect. I am unable to get the T in even far enough to secure it with the two screws provided with the outlet. This is not acceptable, and I am looking for suggestions as to the next course of action. I am not certain that anything short of driving it in with a rubber mallet would get it to go. Have any of you fine forum members experienced this? Any suggestions?

Best regards,

JotulOslo

Welcome!!

I have a stainless T on the back of my stove as well and it does not go in far enough to catch the screw hole. This pissed me off as I had this done "professionally". The guys wedged it in there as far as they could and used stove cement to "shore it up". They even went so far as to put a screw in the hole so it would look right. It came loose when I went to check for creosote at the end of the season. I called and gave the company owner hell...but that's a whole nuther thread by itself.

Back to the T...I'm going to try to crimp the end that goes into the stove collar to get it in further. I borrowed a set of heavy duty hand crimpers from my buddy, but that stainless is pretty tough. If I can't do it by hand I will take it somewhere to have it power crimped. It just needs to go in about a half inch more and I'll be able to get a screw through it.

The T I have has a small rivet located about 3/8" from the end that I am considering drilling out to see if enough 'give' is available for me to insert the T into the outlet. I hadn't thought about a power crimper, but wouldn't know where to find one. I am going to call the guys at the stove shop that sold me the stove/liner. The don't install the stoves, but will likely have had to deal with the issue before. Absent any other suggestions, I may just use a very short piecs of black stovepipe to mate the outlet to the T.

JotulOslo

What you guys are encountering is the fact that the tee is designed to have the crimped end of a stove pipe fit into it. The opening in the tee is therefore the same size as your stove outlet which is designed for the same fitment.

One answer is to purchase a commonly available six inch piece of stove pipe that is crimped on both ends and place it between the stove and the tee and secure it with sheetmetal screws. The big box stores carry them for around five bucks. That adds around four inches of space between your tee and the stove. Yes, that crimped end toward the chimney violates the "leak down" stove pipe crimp direction rule, but I have never found a better answer to the problem. And it is pretty much irrelevent in this case since any thing draining back down the chimney is going to end up in the bottom of the tee, not turn left horizontally.

Why didn't I think of that? I'm going to head down to the local hardware store and see what they have. I would still be interested in what others have for suggestions, so keep them coming!

JotulOslo

BrotherBart said:
What you guys are encountering is the fact that the tee is designed to have the crimped end of a stove pipe fit into it. The opening in the tee is therefore the same size as your stove outlet which is designed for the same fitment.

That makes sense BB. The stove pipe does fit inside the T on the vertical piece and is held by a band that is tightened by a screw. The problem is I don't have room to put a piece of stove pipe between the collar and the T. I guess I could slip a short piece in and mate the T up flush with the collar, and screw it all together. But I still feel if I can crimp the T a little, I'll get it in far enough to make a secure connection. In fact...I may just try it this weekend and see how it goes.
Thanks for the input.

You just need to crimp the T. A union would work, but techicaly youshould have all you seams on the inside going towards the stove.

Since we are talking about this. My first thought was to grind a small amount of steel off the inside of the stove collar to get the T in farther, but I thought it would be easier to try to crimp first. Plus I didn't want to compromise the integrity of the collar. That baby sees a lot of heat!

MountainStoveGuy said:
You just need to crimp the T. A union would work, but techicaly youshould have all you seams on the inside going towards the stove.

Yes...UNION. That's the word I was looking for!

jabush said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

Yes...UNION. That's the word I was looking for!

I am a Southerner so I could not bring myself to use that word.

Common is the stove collar connection is not recessed the full 1.5" matching the crimped portion of the most pipes.
To make the tightes seal possible .I measured the dept of the collar recess and cut the crimped end to reflect that length then the ribbing part fits snug against the flue collar It you see any ribbing then you have leakage and should be refactory caulked cemented. 24 gage pipe can be hand crimper, if space is crucial cut off one crimped side and hand crimp the fresh cut off side at the most it would only change the setup an inch meaning cut a 3" piece 1.5 " is recessed into the flue collar and 1.5 into the tee you would practically not even see that little portion. Like BB said they sell a 6" version but one gains 3"+ after the recess ribbing

Dawn breaks over Marble Head! I was far too driven yesterday with the thrill of the stove being delivered, the caulking of the chimney cap plate, and all of the other things going on to realize the following. Though I know better, I had the T installed incorrectly so that the cleanout was on the back, not down. The leg of the T that would go into the stove was facing up and receiving the collar from the flexible liner. Wrong!

Once I got back from the hardware store with the starter piece and began re-fitting things, I realized my mistake. Just for giggles I inserted the proper side of the T into the stove outlet. While it did go in, it was not as deep as I wanted (didn't pick up the screws that come in from the sides of the outlet, and I decided to try the start piece for fitment. The starter piece fits well, and as per elkimmeg's suggestion I checked the depth of the crimped portion, and it is completely inserted. I'm going to use cement, just for an extra measure of caution, on both ends of the starter pipe, the cleanout portion of the T, the connection between the flex pipe and the collar, and the top of the T.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

JotulOslo

Success!!!
I pulled my Tee and was pleasantly suprised to see that it was already crimped...just not enough. I went over the existing ridges lightly with the hand crimper and the Tee went in the extra half inch or so, that I needed. Why the installers did not do this I don't know. I got it in far enough to drill a hole and get a screw in there. The hole is probably a half inch from the end of the Tee and the unit is now secure. I can just barely see the crimps when the Tee is installed, but I will still cement the seam for that finished look.
Also, I guess I didn't realize it, but prior to my working on the Tee, it was actually angled down a little as it was not securely fastened to the stove collar. This made the rest of the stove pipe and the connections look sloppy. All is now tight and plumb and looks much better.

Thanks all for the responses and thanks to JO for starting this thread!!

joel

Dawn breaks over Marble Head!

quit fooling around with the stove and go catch some stripers I hear they are schooling in your area. Plenty of blues around as well
If I can get away for me I'm after blue fin TUNA tomorrow,they have finally showed up Up to 400 to 600 lbs Off Nantucket

JotulOslo said:
Dawn breaks over Marble Head! I was far too driven yesterday with the thrill of the stove being delivered, the caulking of the chimney cap plate, and all of the other things going on to realize the following. Though I know better, I had the T installed incorrectly so that the cleanout was on the back, not down. The leg of the T that would go into the stove was facing up and receiving the collar from the flexible liner. Wrong!

JotulOslo

Hey JO. My in-laws live in Marblehead. Love that spot. Good to hear that you've got the problem licked.

I'm not actually in Marblehead, but I live in seacoast New Hampshire. The expression "Dawn breaks over Marble Head" is what you say to someone, or yourself, when the realization that you've been doing something wrong and have seen the light leading to the solution. I've used it, and have had it used on me, since I was a kid.

JotulOslo

Ah... (dim lightbulb sputters in wood head) I've never heard the expression before.

Status
Not open for further replies.