Just picked up a Blaze King Chinook 30!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well, in all fairness it’s pretty warm here in Northern Michigan 37 degrees. My house is 80 degrees inside & I got through the night on 1 load, easily.

I am impressed but, I would like t see how it does on a real cold sub zero day with some wind.

Otherwise, I think this is pretty neat setup and the convective design does NOT hamper its radiant ability. Don’t kill me when I say this, it seems more radiant than the Avalon Olympic, that’s just what I notice.

I had serious reservations about what I imagined about this stove, now after poking my head into it and really looking it over can say Blaze King builds a rugged heater!

I do like fiddling with my stoves, may be this ones going to let me down in that respect.

I do like fiddling with my stoves, may be this ones going to let me down in that respect.
Yeah you may have to take up a new hobby like model airplane making or snow blower repair, once you have an active cat and a fully charred load (high flames) turn that baby down so the flame disappears, this is a good test to see if the cat is still good.

Reactions: allan5oh
Certainly is like shoulder season right now here in Michigan....and from what i read that is where the BK will excel. I too will like to know how she handles without a fan blasting on a mid teen day. Keep us in the loop.

Certainly is like shoulder season right now here in Michigan....and from what i read that is where the BK will excel. I too will like to know how she handles without a fan blasting on a mid teen day. Keep us in the loop.

I never in my life heard the words (shoulder season) until I came to this forum, so I googled it to find out what it ment, I lived in California my whole life and they never use those words on the news or the weather, are those words used a lot in the north or north east.

I never in my life heard the words (shoulder season) until I came to this forum, so I googled it to find out what it ment, I lived in California my whole life and they never use those words on the news or the weather, are those words used a lot in the north or north east.

It is not American/Canadian/English it is Hearth.com language. I also, only have learnt it here.

It is not American/Canadian/English it is Hearth.com language. I also, only have learnt it here.

The term shoulder season was coined in the 60s to refer to the travel season between peak and off-peak seasons, especially spring and fall, when fares tended to be relatively low. It was later adopted to refer to the spring and fall in pasture management, the lighter heating season, and other spring/fall terms.

I never new this ;lol;lol

Last edited:
Reactions: lsucet
After running the Chinook 30 it seems the catalytic combustor is waning so I ordered a replacement from Firecat.

The original owner was kind of hard on this cat, described knocking it on wood to clean it and blowing it out with compressed air.

With that said the stove does run well and cat indicator stays in active zone but only on full dial setting down to 3/4, any less then it wants to cool right down and go to inactive zone.

Honestly, how it’s running right now is better that what I have got out of many of the other stoves. I have ran so if a new cat makes a big difference I am officially on the Blaze King wagon.

I admit, it’s kind of boring, it just works.

Reactions: lsucet
After running the Chinook 30 it seems the catalytic combustor is waning so I ordered a replacement from Firecat.

The original owner was kind of hard on this cat, described knocking it on wood to clean it and blowing it out with compressed air.

With that said the stove does run well and cat indicator stays in active zone but only on full dial setting down to 3/4, any less then it wants to cool right down and go to inactive zone.

Honestly, how it’s running right now is better that what I have got out of many of the other stoves. I have ran so if a new cat makes a big difference I am officially on the Blaze King wagon.

It's different than a noncat. You don't need high output to "catch up" like you do when a noncat cools between reloads. Get the house warm and keep it warm for best results with minimal wood usage and maximum burn times.

Can we assume you got a new steel cat from firecat?

I did get the Steelcat but, the ceramic for $180.00 was tempting. Might be $100 extra well spent just for the durability of the steel version.

I also say that the radiant heat from this Chinook does just fine with the blower off. That was a big concern of mine due to the convection design. The Isle Royale was the hottest stove I had run previously, this Chinook 30 is right there, just not as HOT.

Reactions: Highbeam

Check that the dial knob point straight down to the floor at 6 o'clock at wide open throttle. That will let you know it is calibrated correctly. If it goes pass 6 o'clock too much it will need calibration. You will need to find what is your lowest setting for you setup with an active cat for the duration of the burn. Every application can be different.