Just sold my Hearthstone, what stove should I get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bruh44

Mar 6, 2020
North Carolina
I sold my hearthstone because it didn’t do what it was supposed to do. It was supposed to stay hot for hours after the fire burned out, it did not. Plus I could only get about six hours of a burn out of it so I always woke up to a cold house.
What’s next?
My house is 2500sq feet but it’s not well insulated (working on it). It does get into the teens here in western North Carolina. I’d like to get a stove that’s good for 3000sq feet. Something relatively efficient. What do you all recommend? I was looking at the Blaze King King 40, but that thing is over 4K.

I sold my hearthstone because it didn’t do what it was supposed to do. It was supposed to stay hot for hours after the fire burned out, it did not. Plus I could only get about six hours of a burn out of it so I always woke up to a cold house.
What’s next?
My house is 2500sq feet but it’s not well insulated (working on it). It does get into the teens here in western North Carolina. I’d like to get a stove that’s good for 3000sq feet. Something relatively efficient. What do you all recommend? I was looking at the Blaze King King 40, but that thing is over 4K.
It also needs an 8" chimney.

2500-3000 sq ft of not well insulated space is a lot to ask of any stove. How much heat do you need?

Which Hearthstone stove model was this?

It was the Heritage. It was very nice looking, just not as good as advertised.

The house is much better insulated now than last year. I had the walls filled with foam but the floor, sealing and timber doors still leak. The floor should be fixed by next winter.

The Heritage is a bit small for this size house, even in NC. Going to a 3 cu ft stove will make a noted improvement in burn time, even with a conventional tube stove. In the Hearthstone line that would have been the Mansfield. A Woodstock Progress Hybrid would be a good fit if you want to stay with soapstone.

Reactions: EbS-P
How important are looks and what styles do you like the best. BK Ashford looks nice IMO and has a proven design. Pacific Energy T6 another solid choice. There are more value oriented brands that make decent heaters.

I don't think the Ashford will produce enough heat if the home is still leaking.

Do you want a stove for now, or one that can do well when the home is tight?

I like black stoves with the standard four legs and a large glass front to see the fire. It does have to have a rear chimney hook up.
I’m definitely looking for a stove to stay for good. I’m not really just price shopping. I will spend 4K if it’s the right stove.

Space wise, an insert would be ideal. But my understanding is that they just don’t heat quite as well.

Last edited:
I like black stoves with the standard four legs and a large glass front to see the fire. It does have to have a rear chimney hook up.
I’m definitely looking for a stove to stay for good. I’m not really just price shopping. I will spend 4K if it’s the right stove.
Rear vent will be a limiting factor. What size type and height chimney do you have

That (rear exhaust) confirms Blaze King is out.

It’s a 8” lined with a 6” lined inside of it, so I can use either one. It’s about 25 feet tall.
So you have an 8" liner in a masonry chimney with a 6" liner in it?

That is correct. The company that added the liner put in an 8” when they were supposed put in a 6”. So they just ran a 6” inside. I can pull it out if I need the 8”.
Yes it is masonry.

Reactions: bholler
That is correct. The company that added the liner put in an 8” when they were supposed put in a 6”. So they just ran a 6” inside. I can pull it out if I need the 8”.
Yes it is masonry.
Ok just making sure this wasn't a prefab fireplace

The Woodstock Ideal Steel can be rear vented. Also, a Buck 91, Osburn 3500, or PE Summit insert will work.

I'm heating 2800 sf in a northern climate with a Progress Hybrid and it does a good job, also rear vent, the Ideal Steel is also a good stove that's a rear vent.MY PH does hang onto the heat after the fire is out and it's just down to a few coals, works great this time of year when I light a night fire and it's still cool out in the morning and the stove is still throwing out heat. If you go with an 8 inch I'm sure there's other options, not sure if Kuma still makes that big stove they used too.

Reactions: BKVP
Ok just making sure this wasn't a prefab fireplace
You know, this came up once or twice before. I don't think the combination of the two liners has a listing. Not that it will get inspected, but I know of no such approval listing for a liner inside a liner.

You know, this came up once or twice before. I don't think the combination of the two liners has a listing. Not that it will get inspected, but I know of no such approval listing for a liner inside a liner.
My thinking on it (not that it's nessecarily correct) is that once the 6" liner is installed that 8" one becomes just like the clay liner that is outside it. Not part of the equation. Not the insulation of the liner is a different story when it comes to compliance. If the 8" liner is insulated does that insulation apply to the 6"? In reality absolutely but from a compliance standpoint I don't know.

Reactions: clancey
I’m looking pretty hard at the Buck Stove model 91 as an insert. In doing that I would be removing the 6” anyways. Yes the 8” is also insulated.