Kaowool Fluff? Resolute Acclaim infill beside combustion package

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chromium

Nov 16, 2022
RI
I'm in the process of refurbishing our Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim 2490. I have a new combustion package on order but I'm having difficulty identifying the fluff on the left and right sides of it. In the picture, to the left and the right of the combustion package, there is some type of infill fluff. My initial assumption was that it was a type of Kaowool. I have found the product comes in both blankets and rigid sheets, but have not been able to find it as loose filling material like what's currently in the stove. I have looked over all the VC owners manuals and blowup diagrams and nowhere is it indicated.
Can anyone help identify the type of material I should be using and also how full those two side cavities should be? I believe the OEM combustion package has two inlets on the left and right side. Should the fluff be filling those cavities to just below the combustion package side inlets?
Thanks for any help.
VC Resolute Acclaim Combustion Package Fluff.jpg

I don't recall there being anything there alongside the combustion package. @defiant3 do you?

Nope that's supposed to be empty. Ash collects there and needs cleaned out with the stove and chimney cleaning

Very interesting. I guess I'm going to remove it? Any thoughts on why that would be in there, what it would be (it didn't burn up!), etc.? The stove was installed new in a family home decades ago and then not used until recently. The combustion package damage was started by squirrels that we evicted a few years ago.

Very interesting. I guess I'm going to remove it? Any thoughts on why that would be in there, what it would be (it didn't burn up!), etc.? The stove was installed new in a family home decades ago and then not used until recently. The combustion package damage was started by squirrels that we evicted a few years ago.
My guess would be brought in by the squirrel or mice.

Reactions: Chromium