Kioti DK4710SE HST

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Chipper Shredder is on order, probably another month until I see it.

The dealer is picking my tractor up on this coming Tuesday to put the third function and second remote on. Then I'll be able to use the grapple and stump grinder.

I've starting looking into backhoes. I found a used one across the state, but I'm still considering new. I'm still considering my mower options, but it seems that the majority of my yard is actually just blueberry, so I might not even need to mow it?
Did your tractor go in today?

Yep, I should have it back Thursday or Friday with the grapple and stump grinder. This weekend looks like it will have some really nice weather for working outside.
That will keep you busy with the S.G. & Grapple.

I took the rhino in today for it's annual oil and grease job, I should have it back tomorrow. I finally sharpened about eight chains of different lengths today, 16,18 and 20.

I'll see how much snow is left in the area the ash are on Thursday, we might have some high wind gust tomorrow afternoon so I'll wait another day or two before starting to cut.

That will keep you busy with the S.G. & Grapple.

I took the rhino in today for it's annual oil and grease job, I should have it back tomorrow. I finally sharpened about eight chains of different lengths today, 16,18 and 20.

I'll see how much snow is left in the area the ash are on Thursday, we might have some high wind gust tomorrow afternoon so I'll wait another day or two before starting to cut.

I have plenty of cutting to do soon as well. I also got a Pete's quick attach setup to make swapping attachments easier. I'm trying to get my wife to make up her mind on where I can put the mill. I've also been thinking about a dolly setup for logs so I don't have to drag them across my driveway and yard.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I have plenty of cutting to do soon as well. I also got a Pete's quick attach setup to make swapping attachments easier. I'm trying to get my wife to make up her mind on where I can put the mill. I've also been thinking about a dolly setup for logs so I don't have to drag them across my driveway and yard.
Why not just use the pallet forks.

I want to keep the logs fairly long and I have a narrow path to bring the logs through. Skidding them works the best when getting them out of the woods.
I like log tongs hanging from a drawbar best for skidding. Lifting the front edge of the log slightly puts the weight on the rear of the tractor and improves traction. I also have a hook welded to the top of my bucket for hanging tongs there, but you lose the weight advantage, and skidding backwards gets old fast.

Of course, a plain old choker chain on the drawbar works fine, too.

I like log tongs hanging from a drawbar best for skidding. Lifting the front edge of the log slightly puts the weight on the rear of the tractor and improves traction. I also have a hook welded to the top of my bucket for hanging tongs there, but you lose the weight advantage, and skidding backwards gets old fast.

Of course, a plain old choker chain on the drawbar works fine, too.

A choker chain on my log winch works extremely well. I can get them very high off the ground, but then I'm dragging the ends. It's not so bad when the tops are still on them. A little two wheeled cart to put the ends on, like a small log trailer, would be really handy and wouldn't Mar anything

A choker chain on my log winch works extremely well. I can get them very high off the ground, but then I'm dragging the ends. It's not so bad when the tops are still on them. A little two wheeled cart to put the ends on, like a small log trailer, would be really handy and wouldn't Mar anything

Sounds like you want a log arch.

Reactions: SpaceBus
If I hadn't had the tractor picked up, it probably would have rained here today. Of course it's a few inches of snow and still going now that the tractor is at the dealer...

If I hadn't had the tractor picked up, it probably would have rained here today. Of course it's a few inches of snow and still going now that the tractor is at the dealer...
We had wind with a hard rain when I left so I could pick the rhino up, the further north I went, the better it was. On my way back, I ran into a hard rain,sleet,small hail and then snow which lasted about one mile. Once I was home taking the rhino off the trailer we had a huge clap of thunder but nothing after it.

The rhino checked out good, all we need is some nice weather so I can get cutting.

Reactions: heavy hammer
The shop at the dealer had an issue with folks showing up to work, so it will probably be Tuesday before the tractor comes home... When it comes back the dealer is going to give me a quote on a backhoe with manual thumb. Kioti is offering a ton of rebates on what is a Woods 80X Backhoe with kioti labels. I shopped around for an aftermarket BH, but I don't trust the 3PT hitch mounted backhoes with the stony ground here.

The shop at the dealer had an issue with folks showing up to work, so it will probably be Tuesday before the tractor comes home... When it comes back the dealer is going to give me a quote on a backhoe with manual thumb. Kioti is offering a ton of rebates on what is a Woods 80X Backhoe with kioti labels. I shopped around for an aftermarket BH, but I don't trust the 3PT hitch mounted backhoes with the stony ground here.
Are you in for any snow from this new system coming through around Tuesday or Wednesday?

Allegedly 2-4" of wintery mix.
We're in for a bunch of rain starting tonight through Tuesday, 1.25 inches of rain which should get rid of most of the snow.

The dealer called me yesterday, they didn't check the stump grinder and grapple instructions before doing the remote and third function. This means they didn't notice until Monday the fittings on the grapple are too big (flat faced fittings for a combine or something) and the stump grinder didn't come with any fittings. I was a little agitated, so they decided to pull their heads out of their asses and get some fittings locally. The tractor will be here this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

The dealer called me yesterday, they didn't check the stump grinder and grapple instructions before doing the remote and third function. This means they didn't notice until Monday the fittings on the grapple are too big (flat faced fittings for a combine or something) and the stump grinder didn't come with any fittings. I was a little agitated, so they decided to pull their heads out of their asses and get some fittings locally. The tractor will be here this afternoon or tomorrow morning.
Lets get a picture of the stump grinder on your tractor since you have it back (if you don't mind) how did you like the way it worked?

It looks like the gully where most of my ash is near still has enough snow that I'll wait about three days before felling more.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I'll get some tomorrow in the sun. I just didn't get arond to taking any today.

I put the stump grinder back on today after moving some trees I cut down. I probably have one or two more trees to fell in this spot. When my land plane comes in I'll level this spot. Eventually it be a parking area for my implements and tractor. Some day I'd like to put a barn up to keep everything dry.

Attachments

• 20190414_162750.jpg
    20190414_162750.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 20190414_162759.jpg
    20190414_162759.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 20190414_165123.jpg
    20190414_165123.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 20190414_163801.jpg
    20190414_163801.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 20190414_165922.jpg
    20190414_165922.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 20190414_165933.jpg
    20190414_165933.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 20190414_165941.jpg
    20190414_165941.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 182
  • 20190414_170003.jpg
    20190414_170003.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 194
  • 20190414_163222.jpg
    20190414_163222.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 20190414_162902.jpg
    20190414_162902.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 20190414_165946.jpg
    20190414_165946.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 20190414_165958.jpg
    20190414_165958.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 186
@thewoodlands the stump grinder is huge. Bigger than I had imagined. So far it has destroyed the small-ish soft wood stumps at just half speed. I have lost a tooth due to a hidden stone, so I don't go very deep anymore. I'll rake the area out with my grapple and see if there are still any high spots. The PTO shaft is crazy long and a bear to get into position. The quick connects on the bottom links were definitely worth it. The skidding winch has a super short PTO shaft and is very fast to switch to with the quick connects. The stump grinder takes a little longer because of the hydraulic fittings and the top link has to be pretty far out. Once I get better at parking the stump grinder I'm sure it will be much easier to get it on, especially once I've done it more.

We're pic & vid junkies, so it's all good. :cool:
I'll have to upload the video to YouTube. Maybe I'll make a better one with a camera person and a larger stump. So far everything I've ground up has been small.

@thewoodlands the stump grinder is huge. Bigger than I had imagined. So far it has destroyed the small-ish soft wood stumps at just half speed. I have lost a tooth due to a hidden stone, so I don't go very deep anymore. I'll rake the area out with my grapple and see if there are still any high spots. The PTO shaft is crazy long and a bear to get into position. The quick connects on the bottom links were definitely worth it. The skidding winch has a super short PTO shaft and is very fast to switch to with the quick connects. The stump grinder takes a little longer because of the hydraulic fittings and the top link has to be pretty far out. Once I get better at parking the stump grinder I'm sure it will be much easier to get it on, especially once I've done it more.
It will be like anything else, once you've had it for some time it will get easier putting it on, the hoe is the same.

Nice vid.