KT302 Blaze King New guy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
actually the duravent caps the screen just pulls out when you take the cap hex screws off. so you could reaplce it anytime you wanted.

New thing i have been dealing with today, in order to stay under 5 feet of pipe above the roofline, i will only have a chimeny from the top of the stove 13 feet long.. i am wondering how a 13 foot chimeny will effect draft? also wondering about how 5 feet of pipe above the roof will be effected by the cold.. i could with the 10 2 3 rule get it down to 3-4 feet of chimeny above the roof but that with decrease my chimeny length off the stove to only 11 or 12 feet.

Im not sure what to do.. do you guys think a 13 foot chimeny will be enough, next year im going to get more stuff and run the chimeny into the basement with the woodstove down there, so that should make the chimeny about 20 feet.. but i wanna but it this year upstairs..

Ray

If it's a straight up 13' it may work fine, but could be a little sluggish at start ups.

ya its STRAIGHT UP! hopefully it will be fine.. i hate to have to add another 5 feet to the top and have 10 feet sticking out of the roof.

alright i got the hole in the sheetrock and im nervois about cutting a hole in the roof, can anyone tell me how to properly install the flashing, it looks like in the manual it doesnt call for any sealant other then roof sealant on the screw heads holding it down! and it looks like they only want me to put half a shingle over the top of the flashing....

i also need to return my flashing and go with a bigger base flashing since mine is 22" wide. and my roof support brackets are 24" wide the flashing dont cover them all the way..

heres a pic of the flashing, the roof support, and the chimeny cap, also included a pic of my new electric stove

Attachments

• flashing.jpg
    flashing.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 308
  • roofsupport.jpg
    roofsupport.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 287
  • chimcap.jpg
    chimcap.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 315
  • electricwoodstove.jpg
    electricwoodstove.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 303
Lanning said:
Your stove looks great! Nice Chimney cap.....spend e

Thanks! now if i can just figure out how to do the flashing correctly for the chimeny pipe i wont have to worry about a leaky roof. that would be baddddd

greythorn3 said:
Lanning said:
Your stove looks great! Nice Chimney cap.....spend e

Thanks! now if i can just figure out how to do the flashing correctly for the chimeny pipe i wont have to worry about a leaky roof. that would be baddddd

I think you dont need a sealer because its under the shingle but why not put some black jack roof stuff around the hole and around the shingles that are holding it down.
Call a roofer for advise on how it is done?

Had an insurance deal and got a new roof this last spring. They didnt use any sealer when thay put in the roof vents. They slid the tops of the vents under the shingles and it seems Ok. I think the only place it can leak is on the top.
Maybe the boys on the forum can advise you....

well i was hoping they had the larger flashing, but they dont, they say to just goop roofing tar over this part of the roof support bracket that doesnt fit under the flashing, what do you guys suggest? look it sticks out some from the flashing, im worried about creating a leak.

heres some pictures

oh we got some fog today too

Attachments

• 10-13-09foggy.jpg
    10-13-09foggy.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 298
  • woodstoveflashingpipe 002.jpg
    woodstoveflashingpipe 002.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 279
  • woodstoveflashingpipe 003.jpg
    woodstoveflashingpipe 003.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 269
  • woodstoveflashingpipe 004.jpg
    woodstoveflashingpipe 004.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 286
  • woodstoveflashingpipe 007.jpg
    woodstoveflashingpipe 007.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 271
  • woodstoveflashingpipe 008.jpg
    woodstoveflashingpipe 008.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 265
  • woodstoveflashingpipe 005.jpg
    woodstoveflashingpipe 005.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 282
Lanning said:
Just cut some off so it fits under the flashing

Dang its always the obvious simple anwsers i overlook!!! i swear my mind just doesnt work some of the time!!! now about that blackjack, is that stuff good for sealing this time of year in 30-50 degrees? also do you use the blackjack to glue the shingles down to the flashing to hold them on? and would you use nails or screws to hold the flashing on?

I hit a roof vent with the snow blow up on the roof and put a new one in with blackjack to seal it up. I think it should work. I like screws better but both would work. Get that hole cut and stick that thing in, your thinking about this to much. Or consult your local roofing comapny for help. We use a skill saw to cut a hole in the shingles and down into the roof decking.
Good luck my friend, Jim

i know i need to get this done before the snow flys! wonder if that blackjack comes in tubes for a caulking gun! will have to check the home depot out. still cant find no dang fire bricks.. might have to put back in the cracked ones.

OK i think tomarrow or sunday i will be cutting the hole in the roof, its a 6/12 pitch on top roof and inside cathedral ceiling is 3/12 pitch, do you guys have any advice on how to cut the hole so its verticle from the existing ceiling hole i got cut already? is there any ol' tricks? i jus tneed to cut a 14" oval in the roof but wanna make sure its in the correct spot, all these angles confuze me.

by the way i picked up the sealer for the rood it was HENREYS 208R hope its good, says you can put it on in the rain and in temps as low as 30 deg. also the home depot guys said just to put the flashing on with galvanized roofing 1" nails.

Ray

Maybe use a long drill bit like you use for running wire to line it up. If the gap is too big, use a pipe.

well i got the hearth it sits on pretty much done.. but was grouting it today and realized that i was using epoxy grout! i hope this isnt goign to be a problem, i researched on google and it was saying it isnt flamable. so lets hope so. it was just left over grout we had for a kitchen floor.

Ray

heres a pic of before the grouting and after, man smashing up all them little pieces of tavertine 3/8" tile to fit all over the top was pretty fun

Attachments

• hearthstone 003.jpg
    hearthstone 003.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 428
  • hearthstone 005.jpg
    hearthstone 005.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 431
ok well i enclosed the roof today to keep the attic insulation off the chimeny, and have a 2" clearance all around the chimeny, actually i went by the 2" or more rule. should the vapor barrier be allowed to enter the chimeny enclosure? the clear plastic is what im talking about in behind the sheetrock, heres some pictures, let me know if you see anything that looks dangerous, also there is a cardboard template made on the inside of the roof to show where the chimeny will be going thru the roof itself.

Thanks

Ray

heres the pictures

Attachments

• 2chimenclose.jpg
    2chimenclose.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 383
  • 3chimenclose.jpg
    3chimenclose.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 390
  • 4chimenclose.jpg
    4chimenclose.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 399
  • 5chimenclose.jpg
    5chimenclose.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 416
  • 6chimenclose.jpg
    6chimenclose.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 390
  • 7chimenclose.jpg
    7chimenclose.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 400
heres the rest of the pictures.

Attachments

• 8chimenclose.jpg
    8chimenclose.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 370
  • 9chimenclose.jpg
    9chimenclose.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 373
  • 10chimenclose.jpg
    10chimenclose.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 373
  • 11chimenclose.jpg
    11chimenclose.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 384
  • 12chimenclose.jpg
    12chimenclose.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 373
  • 13chimenclose.jpg
    13chimenclose.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 385
  • 14chimenclose.jpg
    14chimenclose.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 372
ok guys im gonna cut the hole then and install this chimeny today then.

Thanks

Ray

well got it installed, was worried it would leak so i used 3 tubes of the henreys on it.. didnt come out to bad. my shingles are super old though and pretty britle to work with so i cracked one by accident, and gooped it with henreys, i dont think i got it exactly verticle, might be a slight angle on the chimeny.. gonna let stuff set up and manuvre it a little when stoves in place.

Ray

HEres some pics

Attachments

• chimenyeninstalled 004.jpg
    chimenyeninstalled 004.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 370
  • chimenyeninstalled 005.jpg
    chimenyeninstalled 005.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 389
  • chimenyeninstalled 008.jpg
    chimenyeninstalled 008.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 358
does anyone know if when you put the interior ceiling trim colar on that covers the 2" gap between chimeny and sheetrock, your supposed to use high temp silicone to make it air tight? otherwise how do you keep ait from escaping into the uninsulated attic hole your chimeny goes through.....

What do you guys think about my flashing, do you think it will be good to go? im still worried about water leaking in when its winter time. maybe i should get more of that henrys and give it some more to cover up more of the flashing and shingles.

Ray

i was also wondering what your take would be on this small gap where the chimeny pieces come togeather in the pic.. is this normal for duratech ss chimenys?

Attachments

• chimenygap.jpg
    chimenygap.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 366
heres 2 videos i made going up the chimney pipe and inspecting the seam, looks good to me, but im no expert.

just ordered me a 12$ wood moisture meter from harbor freight! cant wait to test it out!

heres a pics of my flashing sealing again, its still soft. i wonder how long this henreys 208r takes to set up! hope this seals!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 317
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 323
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 325
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg