landlord said that it to be used in emergency wood stove wtf!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crossout

Dec 15, 2010
lakeview michigan
got a letter from the land lord asking me if i am using it full time and saying how i will be losing out a lot of heat..and yeah if you use it as a fireplace with the doors open and no i don't.... i use it as a wood stove with the doors closed and it easily heats up the house it said nothing about that in our rental agreement so i am going to do what i do 24 hrs burn the only reason i think they don't want it to be used too often because of risk of burning the house down and they would not get what they want for it... that's the only reason they are renting out this house (they can not get it sold for what they want they are over priced for the market) i am so out of here before next winter fuel oil cost too much to heat this place... i am not paying 300-400 a month fuel oil and even higher in the future.... right now looking for a houses with natural gas hooked up

so which one would you take option 1 or 2?

option 1 fuel oil full time temps at 68 at 7am to midnight midnight to 7 am at 65 and the cost 300-400 a month so be freaking cold and throw away money

option 2 wood stove insert and temps at avg 75-83 and the cost 70-90 a month on wood! be warm and toasty and not throwing away 200-300 a month away..

so i am going with number 2 who ever buy this house is gonna be sorry if they are not a wood burner.... throwing away 300-400 a month based off 3.00 a gal

sorry end of my rant lol

crossout said:
got a letter from the land lord asking me if i am using it full time and saying how i will be losing out a lot of heat..and yeah if you use it as a fireplace with the doors open and no i don't.... i use it as a wood stove with the doors closed and it easily heats up the house it said nothing about that in our rental agreement so i am going to do what i do 24 hrs burn the only reason i think they don't want it to be used too often because of risk of burning the house down and they would not get what they want for it... that's the only reason they are renting out this house (they can not get it sold for what they want they are over priced for the market) i am so out of here before next winter fuel oil cost too much to heat this place... i am not paying 300-400 a month fuel oil and even higher in the future.... right now looking for a houses with natural gas hooked up

option 1 fuel oil full time temps at 68 at 7am to midnight midnight to 7 am at 65 and the cost 300-400 a month so be freaking cold and throw away money

option 2 wood stove insert and temps at avg 75-83 and the cost 70-90 a month on wood! be warm and toasty and not throwing away 200-300 a month away..

so i am going with number 2 who ever buy this house is gonna be sorry if they are not a wood burner.... throwing away 300-400 a month based off 3.00 a gal

sorry end of my rant lol

iF IT CAME WITH THE HOUSE, AND IT AIN'T SPECIFIED IN THE RENTAL AGREEMENT, BURN AWAY!!!!!!!!!

Hogwildz said:
crossout said:

sorry end of my rant lol

iF IT CAME WITH THE HOUSE, AND IT AIN'T SPECIFIED IN THE RENTAL AGREEMENT, BURN AWAY!!!!!!!!!

your right!! lol

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
tbh I think you are pretty lucky that your landlord will let you use it at all. Many will not. That being said, I was a renter for too many years and I am so glad I am not dealing with that any more. Even though this old place is often like camping, it's mine. Well, in 330 more payments it's mine.

At least this is not your landlord
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74/the-landlord-from-will-ferrell-and-adam-ghost-panther-mckay

they are pretty lucky that i am renting the place and i am lucky only paying pretty well below the going rent rate around here they just want some one to pay the rent so they can keep paying taxes and they are waiting for the housing market to get better they are not gonna get better that fast they should of took the offer that the previous renter offered and they end up buying a house 4 houses down the road lol right now there is a house that's 20 yrs newer a 1/2 a mile down the road for $80,000 cheaper then what they want for this house! its no way in hell its worth what they want for it today it was worth it 6 yrs ago but not today!!

crossout said:
they are pretty lucky that i am renting the place and i am lucky only paying pretty well below the going rent rate around here they just want some one to pay the rent so they can keep paying taxes and they are waiting for the housing market to get better they are not gonna get better that fast they should of took the offer that the previous renter offered and they end up buying a house 4 houses down the road lol right now there is a house that's 20 yrs newer a 1/2 a mile down the road for $80,000 cheaper then what they want for this house! its no way in hell its worth what they want for it today it was worth it 6 yrs ago but not today!!

Why do you even get so worked up about any of that? This is not the first time you've posted it. You agreed to rent it at a price. The rest is not your problem. What does Lee say? Sit a spell with ole Grandad. Life is too short to get upset over things that you can't control or that don't matter. Your landlord is not making any money off of the oil you burn. When your landlord is drunk, armed, and banging on your door telling you he is going to "rough you up," (true story that!) then you can get a little self righteous. Until then, go split some wood and keep using the stove, errr, for emergencies only.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
crossout said:

Why do you even get so worked up about any of that? This is not the first time you've posted it. You agreed to rent it at a price. The rest is not your problem. What does Lee say? Sit a spell with ole Grandad. Life is too short to get upset over things that you can't control or that don't matter. Your landlord is not making any money off of the oil you burn. When your landlord is drunk, armed, and banging on your door telling you he is going to "rough you up," (true story that!) then you can get a little self righteous. Until then, go split some wood and keep using the stove, errr, for emergencies only.

they are all in their 60's which this place was their parents house.... its just funny how one tells me this and the other tells me that.... they are just old people its just funny how they expect the wood stove to be used as an emergencies.... some funny old people

Have you talked to the owner and asked specifically what he is concerned about? Has he said you are wasting heat? If you are paying the fuel bill, what does it matter to him. If he's afraid you may burn the house down, what is his reasoning? Explain to him how you burn and why you burn. He may have had the stove installed as a decorator item, never intending it be used, but that doesn't mean it CAN'T be used. If he is afraid you are burning irresponsibly, have a chimney sweep or stove tech come out and give a report on the condition of the stove and the safety of your burning practices. If he still doesn't like what you are doing and why, tell him you want him to share the fuel oil costs 50/50. If you have a local tenant/landlord court, take a run at them, or the local building and zoning, so it gets on the record for future buyers to see what they are getting themselves into.

Sounds like an acrimonious situation already, try to diffuse the situation before it becomes the break point of him coming after you.

I am a landlord AND a wood burner. Being a woodburner, I understand the dangers ,and know that many (most) people do not understand wood heat and its maintenance. The space I rent out does not have a wood stove - I dont want inexperienced burners to burn my house down. That being said- If I rented space that HAD a wood stove, I would ABSOLUTELY expect the renter to utilize said stove. Burn on, Brotha!! ;-)

Welcome to the amateur landlord syndrome.

This behavior is typical of individuals who rent out their homes without going about it in a professional manner. I've rented from people just like you described. I was told that I could not smoke in the house, and I could not change my own oil or perform vehicle maintenance in the garage, without either being mentioned in the rental agreement. I just nodded my head and ignored their "rules" as soon as they left. They had no legal standing, and I had a one year rental agreement.

I have also been a landlord, owning a couple of rentals. One was purchased as a rental. The other was my own home, which became a rental after I moved in an earlier down market. I turned both over to a professional management company. Rental property is a legal minefield for unwary owners. It is very risky to rent it out without professional oversight. It is also self flagellating to worry yourself to death over what the renters may do to the property. It's an investment and a risk. Anyone who can't understand that and fails to treat it like a business shouldn't be in the game.

And yes, I quit smoking long ago. :)

hey crossout- do you have insurance? insurance that allows you to burn? you can bet that if the place burns due to the wood stove, "they'll" be looking at you. has the chimney been inspected? maybe you and the landlord could go in together with the cost of inspection to make sure its ok to burn full time. peace of mind for both of you and less cost for you. and-no sense getting so worked up! if you are that p.o.-ed, move now; it can't be worth all the aggravation you seem to be having.

yooperdave said:
hey crossout- do you have insurance? insurance that allows you to burn? you can bet that if the place burns due to the wood stove, "they'll" be looking at you. has the chimney been inspected? maybe you and the landlord could go in together with the cost of inspection to make sure its ok to burn full time. peace of mind for both of you and less cost for you. and-no sense getting so worked up! if you are that p.o.-ed, move now; it can't be worth all the aggravation you seem to be having.

i have renters ins they have house ins its mostly the are afraid they will not get what the want for this house if it burnt down i guess....

crossout said:
got a letter from the land lord asking me if i am using it full time

Reply to your landlord saying you do not use it full time. And stick to the letter of what you say, and let it go out once a week or so and use the oil for a few hours.
Sweep the chimney regularly, you do not want a chimney fire, and make sure you burn decent wood, keepng your wood store a bit discreet.

Try to get your landlord on your side, and avoid conflict at all costs.

In this world, you need every friend you can get :)

I own a house with a small adjacent in-law apartment. Both structures are under one homeowner policy, but my agent told me if I rent out the apt and the tenants burn it down with my wood stove, I am not covered. Huh? It's easier for me to not let them burn than to worry about it. I let my last tenants burn anyway, and they burnt the wettest wood possible. Tons of shiny black creosote. The stoves are still there, for the next time we get an eight-day power outage, but they will be operated only by ME when the time comes.

If it's not in your rental agreement and the stove was there when you moved in, I say go ahead and burn, just burn safely.

Never answer in writing, unless advised to do so by an attorney. Your rental agreement is all that is binding. Do not further encumber yourself by agreeing to anything, especially in writing.

woodchip said:
crossout said:
got a letter from the land lord asking me if i am using it full time

Reply to your landlord saying you do not use it full time. And stick to the letter of what you say, and let it go out once a week or so and use the oil for a few hours.
Sweep the chimney regularly, you do not want a chimney fire, and make sure you burn decent wood, keepng your wood store a bit discreet.

Try to get your landlord on your side, and avoid conflict at all costs.

In this world, you need every friend you can get :)

i called her a few minutes ago she thought i was using it as a fire place with the doors open lol i am not that dumb i have the doors closed and adjust the airflow at the bottom of the doors and use the blower..... man women these days lol she is the main boss of this house with her 2 other brothers one of them tells me to use it much as you want lol i never had 3 landlords at the same time one will say this and the other wants it done this way its just funny with these 60 yr olds

WhitePine said:
Never answer in writing, unless advised to do so by an attorney. Your rental agreement is all that is binding. Do not further encumber yourself by agreeing to anything, especially in writing.
ha i am to lazy to answer anything in writing i just called her that's all... women thinks they know every thing these days ohh she is a retired teacher so i guess that makes her thinks she knows every thing even her brothers tells me that lol

crossout said:
. women thinks they know every thing these days ohh she is a retired teacher so i guess that makes her thinks she knows every thing
<snort>
Little man, did you grow on a tree?

If she's a woman AND she's a teacher, that's the perfect storm of wisdom. Sometimes it gets a little tedious-the knowing everything, so cut her some slack. When you see her, you just need to treat her just like Alice Cooper gets treated in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FucbvoFFy0

Battenkiller said:
Thanks, Kath! I've seen that before but it cracks me up every time. What a kid, eh? :lol:

Yeah, I never get tired of that one. "I'm going to get my drink on."

WhitePine said:
Welcome to the amateur landlord syndrome.

This behavior is typical of individuals who rent out their homes without going about it in a professional manner. I've rented from people just like you described. I was told that I could not smoke in the house, and I could not change my own oil or perform vehicle maintenance in the garage, without either being mentioned in the rental agreement. I just nodded my head and ignored their "rules" as soon as they left. They had no legal standing, and I had a one year rental agreement.

Yeah, as someone who has never owned his own home, I've seen plenty of this in the 20 or so places I've lived in since I left home at 18. One place the guy insisted that I heat with wood. That's right, he didn't want to pay for the oil, so he told me I had to use the fireplace! He was the ex of a close f*** buddy of mine, which is how I came to live there (don't ask, it was the 70s).

Well, the two fireplaces in that old Victorian just weren't cutting it, so we chipped in and bought one of those sheet-metal Ashley stoves... which got put downstairs (I was upstairs) and I continued to freeze. There were three of us living there (his buddy was laid off and didn't pay any rent) and we would go on seemingly daily wood runs, trudging through big drifts of snow to drag out a trunk full of green pine or what have you. We never did learn how to properly operate the dang thing. We either froze our nether regions or charred the walls depending on who was running it (any surprise I was the wall-charrer?). Sometime in mid-February I had enough of waking up to a 34º apartment and moved out.

Been in this place 20 years now. Landlord does what's needed, minds his own business, lets me do as I please and has never once raised the rent from the $650 we agree to when we moved in two decades ago. It feels so much like our own home I almost tried to sell it once.

There are some good ones out there and some bad ones, just have to go through a couple dozen to find a good one, I guess.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Yeah, I never get tired of that one. "I'm going to get my drink on."

:lol:

I know! I just love the beer bottle she's dragging. ;-)

BTW, you get dug out there yet? My youngest is down in NC. He's on the coast in Wilmington, but even they got snow. He sent me a pic of "all the snow" they got. Looked like about 3" to me. How quickly they seem to forget our lovely northern winters. I think maybe he thought he was moving to Key West or sumpin. :roll:

crossout said:
its just funny with these 60 yr olds

Some day you'll be 60......... :)

yooperdave said:
Ja, it could well be that the landlord doesn't have wood heat listed as the primary source on his insurance and may be worried that if the place burned down, the insurance may refuse to pay out, citing a fraudulent statement on the primary source of heat.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the forum members here aren't in the same situation WRT to what they state as their primary source of heat.

Battenkiller said:
BTW, you get dug out there yet?

We get a few decent bouts of snow every year, but they still aren't ready for it. We ended up with about 10 inches and there was no school for FIVE days! No complaints here. I love a quiet week to live inside my head.

In Wilmington I'm sure they thought it was a blizzard. :lol:

Shari said:
crossout said:
its just funny with these 60 yr olds

Some day you'll be 60......... :)

Hopefully not upside down in a mortgage and forced to rent to, well, to a polite and cooperative young gentleman who likes to play with fire :)

Status
Not open for further replies.