Let's talk Vermont Castings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm seeing some interest in hearing from new Dauntless owners so I'll share my story. We installed our Dauntless in March 2021 and got in 8-10 burns before stove season ended here in western Oregon. In general we are pleased...the stove is not intended to be our primary heat source, but winters are mild here and I can see this stove heating our home for days at a time if needed. It easily heats our 800sf open concept main floor, and sends some heat upstairs as well.

It's a very pretty appliance, which is great because it is positioned near our front door, so it's one of the first things people see when coming to visit (back when people could come to visit, haha). My wife loves the design and ambience. It's basically a non-functioning end table for 6 months out of the year, after all. we got the Twilight enamel finish, which is like a deep midnight slate/gray color.

Our chimney is a straight pipe, very tall, no angles or bends, and the stove has drafted well every time we've fired it up. I also found that I can stick my phone into the damper and get a decent photo straight up my chimney pipe, which will be useful for figuring out how often I need to clean out my chimney!

We didn't get the cat (may add it in at a later date). Finding the right air control setting has been a bit of a learning curve, but that's OK. Closing the damper occasionally produces a roaring sound that I associate with overfiring, but I've got a digital thermometer and even when roaring slightly it is within tolerable temperatures. So it's not overfiring?

As far as fuel, I split and stacked a little bit of firewood to season, and have snagged some well seasoned stuff from a friend to build up my burning stock for the fall. I'm not putting anything even remotely green in there!

Reactions: Jmorg
Thanks for the review, PatrickWR. I’m glad it is working out for you so far. Can’t wait to get mine installed!

Closing the damper occasionally produces a roaring sound that I associate with overfiring, but I've got a digital thermometer and even when roaring slightly it is within tolerable temperatures. So it's not overfiring?
Most likely this is when the afterburner has kicked in and is vigorously burning off secondary gases. It's typical of this style of stove in downdraft mode.

Reactions: Jmorg and SpaceBus
Any strong opinions here on intrepid vs. dauntless for someone on the fence?
That depends on what your needs are and the size of the area being heated.

Need to heat ~1700 sq ft. Want non catalytic and something powerful enough to use as primary heat source for whole house on cold winter days in Maine.
I’d go with the larger Dauntless over the Intrepid if it were me. I looked at both and the smaller intrepid looked difficult to load with a small fire box.

Not trying to hijack the thread, I'd hoping someone can provide some concrete advice and noticed Corie's original post and the connection to VC. I'm still struggling to find the option to heat a small space in AZ. Don't need it for much of the year, but finding the right size for a 600 sq. ft. area has not gotten me very far. Recently I was told that I would need at least 4 inches of clearance, even in the back of a wood stove, if I tried to put one in my fireplace hearth/masonary chimney. I called Regency and they won't even allow their dealers to install their wood stoves that way. I talked to a VC dealer and he didn't see a problem. Question - is that true across the board? You can't put a Vermont Castings fireplace in a hearth without 4" of clearance in the back? The models I am most interested in are the VC Intrepid, Morso 7110 B, and Morso 1410 B. Thanks

I’d go with the larger Dauntless over the Intrepid if it were me. I looked at both and the smaller intrepid looked difficult to load with a small fire box.
Agree. Have original intrepid 1 now and have that exact issue. Great little stove but tricky to stack logs well. Plus like the added btu output of dauntless. Not sure what btu rating is on my intrepid, but it doesn’t put out enough heat to warm house. Can’t hold temp constant on cold day first floor but barely.

Agree. Have original intrepid 1 now and have that exact issue. Great little stove but tricky to stack logs well. Plus like the added btu output of dauntless. Not sure what btu rating is on my intrepid, but it doesn’t put out enough heat to warm house. Can’t hold temp constant on cold day first floor but barely.
*Can

You'll want the larger stove. Is there a reason for just choosing between these two stoves? Looks, availability?

Any strong opinions here on intrepid vs. dauntless for someone on the fence?
I'd go Dauntless. I got an Intrepid installed last fall and I wish it was bigger. The dauntless was too tall to fit in my masonry fireplace, so we went with the Intrepid. Not saying that it is a bad heater, but I would have liked the bigger one. My house is 3400sq ft and this heats the first floor fairly easily. It would be nice to get some heat upstairs and I am thinking that the Dauntless would have done that for me. Maybe in the next 10-15 years I'll get a bigger one.

I'd go Dauntless. I got an Intrepid installed last fall and I wish it was bigger. The dauntless was too tall to fit in my masonry fireplace, so we went with the Intrepid. Not saying that it is a bad heater, but I would have liked the bigger one. My house is 3400sq ft and this heats the first floor fairly easily. It would be nice to get some heat upstairs and I am thinking that the Dauntless would have done that for me. Maybe in the next 10-15 years I'll get a bigger one.
Thanks for the feedback. That is the direction I’m leaning also. Encore a little too big, intrepid a little too small.

Just like the convenience. Have it now and i enjoy loading Firebox from top. That and my front door is currently corroded shut! Hopefully fixing that this week…
I just find that top loaders always come with such compromises the convince isn't worth the down sides. Plus you can fit more loading north south.

Not saying you shouldn't get one but I would consider other options as well.

I just find that top loaders always come with such compromises the convince isn't worth the down sides. Plus you can fit more loading north south.

Not saying you shouldn't get one but I would consider other options as well.
What compromises specifically and which other non top loaders (non cat) are worth a look? TY

What compromises specifically and which other non top loaders (non cat) are worth a look? TY
The main compromise is reliability and cost of repairs.

As far as brands regency has some non cats. Lopi does Pacific energy. And probably others I am not thinking of

I have both top and front loader. Prefer front loader.

Only other non cat top loaders I know of have been discontinued but you may get lucky and find a decent used Jotul F50 Rangley or a Quadrafire Isle Royal.

Other non cats to look at with a good rep is Jotul F45 and PE T5

If you stick with VC I’d go with the Dauntless. I got one last year and I’ve really enjoyed it. I can’t speak to long term reliability since mine is still new, but I absolutely love the convenience of top loading opposed to front loading. It’s very efficient. I load it at about 10 pm and can get a good fire going quickly at 7 am without using any kindling. I only have 2 minor issues with it and that is that it’s hard to keep the glass clean at times and I wish the ash pan was a little bigger. I run it without the cat and I’m able to heat about 1900 sq ft fairly well with it even though the layout of our house and location of the stove are not optimal. Anyways…let me know if you have more questions and good luck!

Reactions: PatrickWR
Also the 1700 sq ft is two floors with stove centrally located on first floor.
If I was to go non cat I would not be looking at a Vermont. I would most likely get the PE Alderlea. If top load is a must I would go with the Encore over the dauntless. It’s a little bigger which will be worth it in the really cold weather. I have an Encore in a 1400 ranch and the furnace will still kick on over night in 20 degree and down weather.

Good Morning everyone!

I quietly watch the forums and I've noticed a bunch of questions/concerns about Vermont Castings, especially new 2020 unit launches. When HHT acquired Vermont Castings, my team and I took over R&D of all new models. We're really proud of the launch of the recent Aspen C3 and Dauntless and I'd like to answer any questions and provide supporting data on testing performed to make sure these units are more reliable, easier to operate and last longer than VC designs of the past.

Also, to members that might still remember who I am: Hi everyone, glad to see so many familiar names still posting.
The Aspen C3 seems to be temporarily unavailable. Do you know or can you say what the deal? When should we be able to buy them again?

Reactions: wjohn and Todd