Let's talk Vermont Castings

agonyzhou

Nov 29, 2019
Maryland
--We're really proud of the launch of the recent Aspen C3 and Dauntless and I'd like to answer any questions and provide supporting data on testing performed to make sure these units are more reliable, easier to operate and last longer than VC designs of the past.

Hi, we have an Aspen C3 that we had professionally installed about two months ago. So far we love it. The installation specs say that in a corner install, the corners can be 3" from a combustible wall. That seems incredibly close! We put it 5" away at the corners but still the wall seems to get hot when we are running the stove hot. Is there a reason it can be that close or is it a mistake? Considering adding a heat shield of some kind but not sure what is best.

A bit concerned as my next door neighbors nearly burnt down their garage last night with a homemade stove made out of a 50 gallon barrel, with metal flashing attached directly to the wall. Just want to do it right :eek:

View attachment 267887
Lovely. The small size combined with small requirement of clearance make it a great out-of-the-way stove.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
I looked at the Dauntless today, great looking stove, I really like that top loading feature and big fire box. $2700 including tax, $150 for them to swap it out with the 602. Lead time 60+ days, they wont sell floor model. I think I'll wait til next year, maybe see some reviews by then.

Reactions: SpaceBus

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
I looked at the Dauntless today, great looking stove, I really like that top loading feature and big fire box. $2700 including tax, $150 for them to swap it out with the 602. Lead time 60+ days, they wont sell floor model. I think I'll wait til next year, maybe see some reviews by then.
If we ever add more windows or an addition I might get the Dauntless.

newguyjoe

Nov 7, 2008
Monroe,NY
60 days! that stinks. So, were you going to order the catalyst with it ? i didnt and im curious about it. Maybe Corie can let us know more about it.. Thanks

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
I think the catalyst is better if you plan on doing long low burns. Before now I didn't realize the Dauntless cat was optional. Must have been a lot of testing if the stove can be used without it.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
60 days! that stinks. So, were you going to order the catalyst with it ? i didnt and im curious about it. Maybe Corie can let us know more about it.. Thanks
I was going to go with the noncat and see how that goes. The cat package was another $200. I dont understand how in their literature they say the cat increases the efficiency by 15% but looking at the test numbers the efficiencies are only 1% apart? Maybe its just the low burn efficiency and not the overall average?

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
I was going to go with the noncat and see how that goes. The cat package was another $200. I dont understand how in their literature they say the cat increases the efficiency by 15% but looking at the test numbers the efficiencies are only 1% apart? Maybe its just the low burn efficiency and not the overall average?
Based on the online literature I would say it applies to the low burn efficiency like you said.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
I am worried about the flexburn, have been for awhile but I've known Corie on this forum from the beginning and trust what he says so I just may pull the trigger on the Dauntless. The Jotul F45 is another contender or I may just keep the 602 for this year and see how these new stoves work out for others.
I can tell you that as a 2040 owner I have had no issues with my stove. I use it as my main heat source, burning 24/7 when needed. I have performed normal services to the stove gaskets and stuff. I have heard the rumors of VC but went with it anyway. If my stove need a rebuild after 10 years, I'm ok with it. I don't expect it to last 20 years without having to fix it. I fined the stove easy to run and dependable. I look at it like all of the other things I owne, Its going to need maintenance and nothing is completely maintenance free

Reactions: Todd

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Maybe @Corie can chime in. When you say you decided to go with the noncat is that mean a downdraft noncat in other words “everburn” or as some of us renamed it some years ago “neverburn”? Or did VC decided to add tubes?

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Maybe @Corie can chime in. When you say you decided to go with the noncat is that mean a downdraft noncat in other words “everburn” or as some of us renamed it some years ago “neverburn”? Or did VC decided to add tubes?
Yes, downdraft non cat. Now they call it a Flexburn, probably didnt like the old nickname lol. I believe the way the stove is designed you can run it either way, with or without the cat. If i opt for a cat later all you do is slide one in place into the secondary burn chamber.

I did message Corie with a few questions, hopefully he will drop by.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I hope that in the new models the new and improved materials and parts are better. And I am 100% honest when I say this. The everburn did not work and should have never make it to the market (my humble opinion). The flexburn, there are some complaints out there. People needing to replace the inner parts within 3-4 yrs. And some users are very happy with them (some members here). They are beautiful stoves but have way too many moving parts that can fail due to user error.