liner installation confusion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For what its worth here's a pic of the backside of my fireplace in the garage, the cinder block goes up and into the second floor, second pic (and orange lines) is the only area that may be in question.....but it's exposed, high up and probably very cool even with the air intake wide open.

For what its worth here's a pic of the backside of my fireplace in the garage, the cinder block goes up and into the second floor, second pic (and orange lines) is the only area that may be in question.....but it's exposed, high up and probably very cool even with the air intake wide open.

Looks to me like you probably have wood right against that brick as it passes through the roof. Am i right? That means you do not have a huge air space and the block between the liner and combustibles.

View attachment 178368

View attachment 178369
Looks to me like you probably have wood right against that brick as it passes through the roof. Am i right?

I'm not sure....that's a hard part of the attic to get to but I will grab a ladder and crawl up there and check / take a picture tomorrow - this was the questionable are but being so high up I wasn't too concerned, but indeed there may be, hoping not. It may even be cinder block up there, cant remember.

It may even be cinder block up there, cant remember.
If it is brick right above the roof like that it is brick coming through the roof or atleast block down to the size of that brick above the roof which means you have the same clearances.. And no that is not that high up at all and regardless a chimney fire burns in the chimney so where it is does not matter you need that clearance for safety reasons the whole length of the chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.