Liner Questions ... Please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

19glendale

Feb 1, 2015
Northern Virginia
I will be installing a 6" 25' liner in my chimney. I'm planning to get a kit off ebay (from a retailer), specifically the:

"Smoothwall 2Ply .013 Chimney Liner Insert Kit w/ Insulation" for Rockford Chimney supply for $635. This seems to be the highest price point liner they sell, so I hope it is a good choice.

Even though it's 2 ply, I will be insulating it with the materials included in the kit.

It uses the 316 Ti Stainless steel, which is a titatium-enhanced stainless steel to reduce corrosion. Does anyone have experience with this material or this liner? Anything I should look out for?

I will be sealing the attachment from the stove to the liner with high-temp silicone. Is 500 degree silicone suitable? Or is 600 degree silicone necessary or a better choice?

Thank you

Read up on issues with 2 ply liners before buying. Consider a single-ply heavy wall liner.

"Smoothwall 2Ply .013 Chimney Liner Insert Kit w/ Insulation" for Rockford Chimney supply for $635. This seems to be the highest price point liner they sell, so I hope it is a good choice.
It is not It really is the only type of liner that I would recomend against using the 2 ply construction is not durable at all. Go with single wall heavy wall would be the best but single wall light wall will work ok to just not as durable.

Even though it's 2 ply, I will be insulating it with the materials included in the kit.
Yes you want to insulate it no matter what liner it is

It uses the 316 Ti Stainless steel, which is a titatium-enhanced stainless steel to reduce corrosion. Does anyone have experience with this material or this liner? Anything I should look out for?
316 is fine for wood but 304 is all you need as long as all you will be using it for will be wood.

I will be sealing the attachment from the stove to the liner with high-temp silicone. Is 500 degree silicone suitable? Or is 600 degree silicone necessary or a better choice?
Neither will hold up to the heat and you really don't need to seal it as long as the adapter fits correctly if not use a gasket material/

The Smoothwall liner is constructed using two .005" thick 316 stainless steel, (there is NO ti stainless in these liners, as some sellers claim they have) and is formed into a double layer, calling it .013 thickness. The interior is considered smooth (feels like fish scales) and creates a 20% better air flow than a standard liner. It has been tested and UL approved.
This liner needs to stay in the round shape, and reshaping (oval) or hard knocks can create the inner surface to pucker slightly. I have installed several of these and find them easier to uncoil (less memory) than standard liners. IMHO

This liner needs to stay in the round shape, and reshaping (oval) or hard knocks can create the inner surface to pucker slightly. I have installed several of these and find them easier to uncoil (less memory) than standard liners. IMHO
I have installed a few also and I will never install one again. One of them failed after 3 years and I have since pulled and replaced the other 2 at my cost because I don't trust them. Yes they are smooth and they flow better than the standard light wall liners but not better than the mid weight or heavy wall as those also are both smooth wall. But both of them will hold up much better and have no memory.

The Smoothwall liner is constructed using two .005" thick 316 stainless steel, (there is NO ti stainless in these liners, as some sellers claim they have) and is formed into a double layer, calling it .013 thickness.
Yes it normally comes in 316 ti I don't know why you think otherwise.

https://www.atimetals.com/Documents/ati_316ti_tds_en_v1.pdf

Yes it normally comes in 316 ti I don't know why you think otherwise.

https://www.atimetals.com/Documents/ati_316ti_tds_en_v1.pdf

Sorry for not being a little clearer on my information:
I do not doubt that ATI Metals manufactures 316ti stainless as it "states" - ATI 316Ti stainless is included in ASTM A240 for plate, sheet, and strip products

I should clarify, I should have stated that there is at least 2 Manufacturers of the Smooth wall liners, that I am familiar with, and they only offer it in 316L stainless, and I know of outfits selling it as 316ti stainless.

Here is what 1 Manufactures Product information sheet for Smooth wall Liners says

"Smooth wall flexible chimney liner is designed to reline an existing
chimney or can be used as a liner in a newly constructed chimney. Manufactured in the
highest-grade mill certified 316L alloy stainless steel. Smooth wall liners can be used to
vent wood, coal,gas and oi,both condensing and non-condensing. This Smooth wall liner
has been tested to 1000 deg. F continuous, 1400 deg F intermittent, and 2100 deg F for 10 minutes".

Information Brochure "The Smoothwall Stainless steel liner has a double wall construction using the highest quality 316L stainless"

I should clarify, I should have stated that there is at least 2 Manufacturers of the Smooth wall liners, that I am familiar with, and they only offer it in 316L stainless, and I know of outfits selling it as 316ti stainless.
there are many other manufacturers of 2 ply liners and if they sell it as 316ti that is what it is. Why would you doubt that? 316ti and 316l cost about the same and have very similar properties so why would the sell 316l as 316ti and risk the repercussions of misrepresenting their product? But regardless of what alloy it is the 2 ply liners are without doubt the least durable option as far as stainless liners go.

Hi bholler. What would your recommendation be for a heavy wall liner? Wood only. Something like this: http://www.woodlanddirect.com/304L-Champion-Heavy-Flex-Chimney-Liner-Kit-6? It seems a bit higher priced then most 316 options I can find.
I believe that is actually Olympia armor flex re branded. that is all we use for wood stoves and it holds up very well. Yes it will cost more there is allot more metal in it If you are saying that that 304 liner is more than another 316 heavywall I don't see why that is check the thickness of the metal 316 is a more expensive alloy so it should cost about 25 to 30% more

never mind I just looked at the link and those are not olympia components so I doubt the liner is either way it is a heavy wall liner from a reputable dealer it should be a good product.

I may not be comparing the thickness, so that is probably it. Thanks again.

As far as sealing the connection, in most cases the liner and adapter should connect to the insert just fine. If you would feel better sealing it I would recommend a furnace cement.

Status
Not open for further replies.