Lintel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Grady

Mar 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
Hi - I have a 50's brick fireplace and this winter the metal lintel fell apart. The brickwork is in very good condition with no cracks (the fireplace is actually part of a fairly massive brick heat-a-lator system) and for what it's worth, I'm in the Houston area so no great temperature extremes.

I'm going to grind/cut off what is left. The question is, after 60 or 70 years of the mortar hardening, do I need to replace the lintel? Any suggestions or links appreciated. Thanks Grady

Bay Fireplace.jpg

I'm going to grind/cut off what is left. The question is, after 60 or 70 years of the mortar hardening, do I need to replace the lintel? Any suggestions or links appreciated. Thanks Grady
Yes you do and that wood mantle is way way too close to the opening of the firebox. Here are the requirements for mantles

R1003.12 Mantel and trim. Woodwork or other combustible materials shall not be placed within 6 inches (152 mm)of a fireplace opening. Combustible material within 12 inches (305 mm) of the fireplace opening shall not project more than 1 /8 inch (3.2 mm) for each 1-inch (25.4 mm) distance from such opening.

Last edited by a moderator: