Lock up your wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to second what someone else mentioned. There might just be a connection between those that heat with wood and just happen to own firearms! Hmm food for thought.

I have been working all spring and summer with my father to down old ash trees. Because he's older he does the chainsaw operations and I do the splitting and piling into the tractor lift bucket. At my house I keep 1/2 of the wood in the old pig barn, and the other part piled into an open bay on a larger barn I have. The open bay is visible from the road, and about two weeks ago someone stopped and asked if I was selling my wood. I am still sore from splitting it all with by hand so I explained to them that I wasn't selling anything. I get nervous about people stopping and asking though. If they noticed it, a would be thief would notice it. He'd have to be pretty hard up to steal my 4 cords that is in the open bay. In fact if he can steal it without me noticing it from the house, I almost deserve to be robbed blind.

Cheer,s

Littlespark

Ash_403 said:
Mine is in my backyard enclosed in a 6 ft. privacy fence. Locked gates, and a great, retired, snoopy neighbor, friend of mine that lives by me are also utilized.

Cheers.

I have one of those neighbors too. Pain in the ass a lot of the time, but the vigilance is a nice by-product.

No wood stolen but a couple nights ago a neighbor left a John Deere lawn mower in the yard. It was gone by morning. Nothing runs like a Deere!

Neil said:
Fuel prices have rocketed in the UK over the last couple of years and wood stoves are selling like hot cakes over here, unfortunately this has pushed the price of wood up as the demand is getting bigger. We have a new problem in the UK.....wood thieves....police are teling us to lock up our wood and not display it on the front of our yards, you got this problem in the USA and Canada.?

Wood has increased in price as have gas and oil, but no problems round here with people nicking other people's wood.........yet.

But I do often leave booby traps around the yard, tripwires etc., just so any unwanted visitors make plenty of noise.

Thieves hate noise ;-)

Huskyforlife said:
Stealing wood in the United States could be hazardous to your health. I own a Mossberg 12 gauge, loaded w/ 00 buckshot...courtesy of the 2nd Amendment. Around here, most people who would be heating with wood, also own firearms....

Its amazing...we're a pretty liberal state overall but the number of guns here is wonderfully staggering!

I leave my wood in plain view and havn't had any problems with theft. Around here wood is easy to come by. If you have a saw it's easy to find free wood to cut. If you don't have a saw it's only $120 - $140 for a full cord of hardwood. Every one around here also owns guns.

Not worried about people stealing my wood...

If I see them in the yard, it is the 12 guage
If I see them in the driveway, it is the .38
If I see them at the end of the driveway, it is the .22
If I see them driving down the road, it is the 30 O .06

Yes, there is a theme to my answers.....low life thieves...

Delivering justice between 1400 and 3300 fps!

Neil, sorry to hear about that. i think one factor, like you mentioned is the price of oil (gas, heating oil, diesel, etc...) i'm from Norway and still have lots of family over there. so i know the price of gas and heating oil are around three to four times the amount as here. thats right, they sell it by the liter at gas stations- around $3 a liter. do the math and thats around $12 a gallon. i'm sure england is close to that. Neil, what are the current prices? good luck this winter

If they have enough guts to face my dog for a pickup load of firewood, I would sit back an watch the quality entertainment. Oh - I also get the video rights. She "probably" won't kill 'em, but I bet they would leave with a sore ass and shredded pants.

Jags said:
If they have enough guts to face my dog for a pickup load of firewood, I would sit back an watch the quality entertainment. Oh - I also get the video rights. She "probably" won't kill 'em, but I bet they would leave with a sore ass and shredded pants.

LOL- Jags told me to send packages to his work because the postman won't deal with his dawg!

Adios Pantalones said:
Jags said:

LOL- Jags told me to send packages to his work because the postman won't deal with his dawg!

She is a fantastic critter, but the moment I leave the property, it is her domain. She owns it, with authority.

4 legged burglar alarm, with X-ray vision. ;-)

Attachments

• Bella 079_mod.jpg
    Bella 079_mod.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 563
Backwoods Savage said:
No wood stolen but a couple nights ago a neighbor left a John Deere lawn mower in the yard. It was gone by morning. Nothing runs like a Deere!

Huh, I *almost* wish I had that problem....my stuff is all neat and tidy locked in the shed, but the neighbor likes to leave his mower, newer snowblower, bikes, fishing poles and assorted other crap in the wide open making for an ugly sight from my patio.... I really wish that crap would walk off... he also doesn't believe in any outdoor lighting so it would be easy pickens.... let me accidently post his address ;-)

mywaynow said:
Delivering justice between 1400 and 3300 fps!

+100 :coolgrin:

Remkel said:

If you are caught in the UK with a handgun it is 10 YEAR PRISON SENTENCE.

Funny,
Crude oil is down but gas went up $0.20 cents here last week. No trouble with wood thiefs at least. Most of mine is in the back yard, but also have some by the driveway.

Neil said:
Remkel said:

If you are caught in the UK with a handgun it is 10 YEAR PRISON SENTENCE.

I think they have it right on their side of the pond, instant justice at about 1850fps ;-)

I have had some problems but not with my wood. I can leagly shoot them in my house any time or outside if dark but in the daylight I can not use deadly force to protect my property. I know people that have done it and they got into big trouble.

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
Can't you still have longarms in England?~Rose

Shotguns are allowed if you have a reason to hold one, ie. a farmer with land etc., but pistols are a no-no.

It's a joke as our Olympic team have to go abroad to practice for our own Olympics next year, but baddies can do as they wish.

Suppose the trick is to put a secret gps tracker in a bit of wood so you can follow anyone to their home and invite them to return your wood.

Just make sure it's an irresistable invitation........ ;-)

woodchip said:
RoseRedHoofbeats said:
Can't you still have longarms in England?~Rose

Shotguns are allowed if you have a reason to hold one, ie. a farmer with land etc., but pistols are a no-no.

It's a joke as our Olympic team have to go abroad to practice for our own Olympics next year, but baddies can do as they wish.

Suppose the trick is to put a secret gps tracker in a bit of wood so you can follow anyone to their home and invite them to return your wood.

Just make sure it's an irresistable invitation........ ;-)

Didn't handgun crime in the UK go up close to 300% after the hand gun ban?

Canada's laws are almost getting as bad/assinine. Although handgun ownership is allowed you have to be a collector or part of a gun-club. No concealed or open carry is allowed for the general population. You also have to lock them away at home, making any sort of home defense useless. Yet the criminals do what they want.

fire_man said:
n3pro said:
I got a small lot so it's tough to hide but hopefully if they try to steal my wood they do it overnight on a new moon; they'd be greeted with all the crap I'm too lazy to pick up and curse at every time I trip over the stuff and I know where it is. It isn't all my fault I got some tree roots growing up for some reason, every time I trip I say I'm going to get the sawzall and cut them but get sidetracked and don't.

You better cut those roots - these days if they steal your wood and hurt themselves in the process, you get sued and still lose your wood.... :-S

That might happen in the land of Kennedy and Dukakis but it'll never happen in Texas. Sure, anyone can sue for any reason but there's no jury down here that would ever find for this type of plaintive. Maybe if you booby trapped it intentionally but even that would be doubtful.

In my frequent travels I see firewood stacked near the road all the time in the northern states. I even see boxes and bundles stacked on the side of the road saying "$5 a bundle (or whatever.) Not sure how that system works. Do they expect people to come knock on the door and pay them? Do they have an honor system with a coffee can laying out on the stack? I'm sure most people would be honest and pay but I always wonder how much gets ripped off.

In Europe I see huge stacks of split firewood out in the woods along the highways, miles from any houses.

Kenster said:
Not sure how that system works. Do they expect people to come knock on the door and pay them? Do they have an honor system with a coffee can laying out on the stack?

Similar - I have a friend that sells sweet corn from a wagon on a corner. A steel box bolted to the frame for payment. Total honor system. He says that frequently he has over payment. Somebody(s) paying more (probably due to a "change" issue) instead of cheating the system. Note: this is a very rural area, not a high population. That "may" have something to do with it. I am not trying to offend anyone, but rural living seems to breed a different culture than high population areas, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.