Log marking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I grab a split from the pile and a small hatchet. I make little cuts at the length of the split on the downed tree and cut from there.

Hello all, i will be going into my second year of cutting and splitting. I guess i am the odd man out. I invested in a loggers tape and then picked up a bucket of side walk chalk from the dollar store.
My purpose is that i am trying to sell some of my wood on top of what i use for home.
Basically covering my fuel and oil bills.
My experience so far with that is it's really been a huge time saver as i can run 75ft at a time. The sidewalk chalk has been the bad part. Since most of what is free to me is slimy red/green alder.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I run into wet wood as well. What works well for me marking is a small short trimming saw in a holster. Making a quick cut mark is easy and the mark stays put even if it rains on it.