Log marking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The magnet wouldn't damage the chain or cutters. The saw will throw the magnet if it comes into contact with the chain. It happened to me with an attachment for my mill.

I like the magnet idea. Just hook it onto bar, make your marking cuts, then remove it, and buck the tree up. But the cost.....too much. Could one be made? I saw this magnetic hook set at Harbor Freight (4 pack/$3+) and bought one. Cut the bend in hook off and drill and glue a piece of rod into post(?). It should work.
DSCF0162.JPG

You could probably cut the curved part off the hook end, cut threads on the straight shank, use a nut and washer to put a t pvc cap onto the magnet/shank, glue in a long piece of pvc pipe and cut to length.

I’m not keen on the idea of something hanging off the side of my saw. I often cut up to finish a cut after I’ve rolled a log. This puts the tip in the wood. I’m also in big rounds at times that eats the whole bar up so can’t have anything hanging off the bar. And really a +\- of an inch is no big deal. After years of cutting I can pretty much hit the 16-18 mark just by site. I still measure with my sharpie marks now and again to keep my eyes calibrated.

I totally agree.. I wouldn't want anything hanging off my bar.. ever..

20 inch bar . . . I eyeball it and try to cut somewhere around that length. Sometimes it's a little bit longer, sometimes a little bit shorter. It's not like I'm building anything with it though . . . just burning it. My stacks don't need to look that pretty . . . as long as the wood fits in the firebox I'm happy.

I wouldn't want something hanging off my bar. That is weird.

Seasoned eye baller here

Reactions: Gearhead660
You could probably cut the curved part off the hook end, cut threads on the straight shank, use a nut and washer to put a t pvc cap onto the magnet/shank, glue in a long piece of pvc pipe and cut to length.
I like the magnet idea. Just hook it onto bar, make your marking cuts, then remove it, and buck the tree up. But the cost.....too much. Could one be made? I saw this magnetic hook set at Harbor Freight (4 pack/$3+) and bought one. Cut the bend in hook off and drill and glue a piece of rod into post(?). It should work.

It is possible to buy magnets with a hole in the center , such as antenna mount magnets. Or these
Amazon product ASIN B00IYFNXKC
Amazon product ASIN B06XN6L65J I thought of making a marker out of 1/2”CPVC as that would be thin and light weight . I wasn’t so sure I would like it hanging off the bar though.
I usually eyeball or use a mark on the bar for eye calibration.

I decided I don't like having something hanging off my bar. I might try the twist tie.

I just eyeball mine,they are close and my stoves don't care. I'll be back from cutting and setting by the stove with my feet up reading a book, while some are still reading their tape measures.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I had the same question, so I searched the site for zip tie. It's a good idea!
I'll have to check it out, but seems like it would be better suited for shorter length cuts.

I'll have to check it out, but seems like it would be better suited for shorter length cuts.
Use a longer zip tie, but you would be surprised at how far it will be between the bar and the tip of the shorter zip ties. The handle sticks out pretty far from the bar.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
"I just eyeball mine,they are close and my stoves don't care. I'll be back from cutting and setting by the stove with my feet up reading a book, while some are still reading their tape measures. "

I am with you Osage.
When I am building a log cabin I make my measurements to 1/16 of an inch. Firewood? Who cares. Close is good enough.

I happened to have a long zip tie on hand, so I put it on my saw, and it measures right about 20" which is perfect for me. I can reposition it toward the front or rear if needed, I'll have to see how it works out.

Attachments

• ZipTie1.jpg
    ZipTie1.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 156
I used a long zip tie and trimmed it down to the length I desired.

I've used different methods for marking up logs before cutting into consistent lengths, but those methods proved to be time consuming and not very accurate. Until now:
View attachment 267730

It came today, and I was able to use it a little. It's extremely well crafted, light weight, simple and easy to use. Not only do I get the correct lenth of wood, but it also helps me to start a square cut as well. I highly recommend this tool
I use this all of the time...it works very well...never any issues with it...I also have the Mingo paint marker but only use it when I have multiple logs drug out ...one tip would to be to paint it orange...it blends in well in the woods and can be lost....ask me how I know....lol

Reactions: Lakeside
I made my own version. Took me all of 5 minutes. The magnet came from Home Depot for $5. The arrow is an old aluminum crossbow arrow. There is a 1" 8-32 screw holding it together. (Leftover screw from a cabinet handle). Finished it measures 20.5". My Furnace takes 21" max, so I'll probably cut a little off.

20201208_184740.jpg 20201208_184816.jpg

I made my own version. Took me all of 5 minutes. The magnet came from Home Depot for $5. The arrow is an old aluminum crossbow arrow. There is a 1" 8-32 screw holding it together. (Leftover screw from a cabinet handle). Finished it measures 20.5". My Furnace takes 21" max, so I'll probably cut a little off.

View attachment 268858 View attachment 268859
Good stuff. I presume the arrow/bolt had the insert in the end that the tip/broadhead would have screwed into?

In the past I've used a measuring tape or 16" stick with a hatchet or marking pen to mark the lengths, then moved to a Mingo marker. Last few years I've used either a fiberglass stick w/magnet (was sold under the brand Firewood Buddy) or an Acc-U-Mark. Everyone has their own tricks/techniques and you just have to find what works best for you. Because of how I stack, I prefer my rounds to be as close to 16" as possible.

I had a chance to put the zip tie to the test today. It worked out pretty well, I need a little more practice with it, but one thing I like about it is it kind of works it way toward the back while cutting and I really didn't even notice it was there.

I mostly just eyeball. As long as its close and fits in the stove we're good. I value the time saved more than an exact sized log.

That said, I do run an 18" Husqvarna and the cutting portion of the bar is 17"....which is conveniently what fits in my Osburn 1600 so I can quickly no tools required check any cut! :cool:

If you have a bigger bar I'd just file a mark on it as mentioned before. I'm pro simple/free.

Last edited:
I've decided to try the zip tie method (.50 cents). I cut it down to 18" from the chain. The zip tie folds in and out easily. I can see that the cutter will need to cut from left to right, though.

DSCF0166.JPG