Log skidding,Never done it, tips, and advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Until I got on this forum ,I didn't even know what skidding was, but now I need to drag some stuff out into the open to cut n load, split at home ,elect splitter.
I don't plan on buying a bunch of stuff to do it, except, I'm going to see. a guy tomorrow with used chain and cable, at a very good price,I have 100ft of big fat rope, and a jeep.

Any thing U can think of I should know ,Does,Don'ts, what ever

Can you build a sled out of two by fours? Drag that with your jeep. It would keep your logs out of the mud and dirt. Some of the members here have built them and use them with tractors or ATVs.

Can you build a sled out of two by fours? Drag that with your jeep. It would keep your logs out of the mud and dirt. Some of the members here have built them and use them with tractors or ATVs.

Hmmm, something like these pallets, but don't know if it would be worth the effort cuz trees are already on the ground

Attachments

• IMG_20121216_165631.jpg
    IMG_20121216_165631.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 533
First off I don't like dragging logs on the ground because it gets dirt in the bark which will really dull your chain fast. Also, the logs drag easier using a dray or sled. I built this dray using nothing but scrap lumber. The two landscape timbers were 2 that I picked up from a neighbor who said, "Take them." I did buy some bolts and the total cost was less than $10. Skidding with this is super easy. You probably notice I put eyebolts on both sides so we can use a ratchet strap to tie down the logs. Using this dray I never had to use 4wd even going through some mud and even on the uphill grades. Loading it is easy. Many times you can just lift one end of a log and put it on then lift the other end. If you have a bad back like me, it is even simplier to just use a cant hook for loading.

If you do have to drag some out to the dray, then a small chain with a grab hook on one end and a slip hook on the other works great.

Hauling logs 1.JPG Hauling logs 2.JPG Dray-1.JPG

Well The pallets are like a ready made sled, flip it over trim and lighten it up, shape the front of skids, and if you look close U can see the bolts are already in there.

I was thinking, cuz the trees are on the ground, there will be dirt stuck to bottom and , while bucking, maybe I could cut part way through the top , roll the log , wire brush dirt off where cut will be and finish cut.
Do ya think it's worth the effort ????

Sorry, I should have got a picture of the front of the dray. The front of those landscape timbers are slanted and if you use your pallet idea you will want to do the same thing to keep them from digging into the ground.

What you are describing with the cut and roll is exactly what we were doing this past week with some old white oak. When it is old like that, usually it is quite easy to use an axe to chop it off as the bark will tend to be pretty loose and punky. So just scrape off where you need to cut and all is well.

A short hitch around the log tends to lift the log, reduces the amount the leading edge of the log will plow into the ground, get hooked up on a stump or root. And if pulling with a tractor be aware that if the log gets hung up on an object the tractor can "walk the ring gear" and flip backwards.

Sorry, I should have got a picture of the front of the dray. The front of those landscape timbers are slanted and if you use your pallet idea you will want to do the same thing to keep them from digging into the ground.

What you are describing with the cut and roll is exactly what we were doing this past week with some old white oak. When it is old like that, usually it is quite easy to use an axe to chop it off as the bark will tend to be pretty loose and punky. So just scrape off where you need to cut and all is well.

That's what I meant by shaping the front, like the front of sled runners, cut a 45 or so on em
Geez ;em I didn't even think of knocking the bark off, with a hatchet or axe to make the cut, and ya the bark is loose
8ft log 5 cuts, roll log, knock off bark , finish

I was tuning my saw couple days ago ,on the ground got it in the dirt very briefly , had to clean (used brake cleaner) and blow off,saw,bar and chain, re grease, what a mess

Sometimes I use a pulley chained up high & pull the logs with the truck right to the trailer.

100_6732.JPG

Sometimes all the way with the ATV

Logs1.JPG

Sometimes I use a pulley chained up high & pull the logs with the truck right to the trailer.

View attachment 85305

Sometimes all the way with the ATV

View attachment 85306
I saw the deal ya made for the back ,in another thread
Wish I had an ATV ,(had one ,long time ago)I would take it out there 5 mi away and drag all the stuff out, take it back home

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
If you drag them out on the ground, you need to clean the bark. I found that my 3000 psi power washer will draw water from a tub allowing me to power wash without plumbing. I filled some tubs and trailed the tubs and powerwasher to the log area and powerwashed the bark before cutting. You won't get 4 cuts before you are dull if you don't clean the dirt from the bark.

Reactions: NortheastAl
First off I don't like dragging logs on the ground because it gets dirt in the bark which will really dull your chain fast. Also, the logs drag easier using a dray or sled. I built this dray using nothing but scrap lumber. The two landscape timbers were 2 that I picked up from a neighbor who said, "Take them." I did buy some bolts and the total cost was less than $10. Skidding with this is super easy. You probably notice I put eyebolts on both sides so we can use a ratchet strap to tie down the logs. Using this dray I never had to use 4wd even going through some mud and even on the uphill grades. Loading it is easy. Many times you can just lift one end of a log and put it on then lift the other end. If you have a bad back like me, it is even simplier to just use a cant hook for loading.

If you do have to drag some out to the dray, then a small chain with a grab hook on one end and a slip hook on the other works great.

View attachment 85289 View attachment 85290 View attachment 85288

Although that dray would work best with an ATV ,

I still think it might work. To pull some logs out from where I can't get in which the Jeep, And also keep from getting more dirt and mud Into the logs .

How does it do running over other sticks in crap laying on the ground ??

How long is that one you built, and what size. stock did you use for the top pieces ??

Did you use lag type eye bolts or drill through with nuts ??

I have a bunch of pallets with two by sixes and such, 2x6 , would be good for the top, I would think
The pallets in the picture I put up, I had to cut smaller at the site be able to pick him up and load them, I can get more which have longer skids on them, I would just take them apart on site instead of cutting them up.

Take apart a couple of the long pallets you mention you can get. Double up the long 2 x 4 sides for your dray. Nail or bolt them together. Bevel the front and rear bottom edge (like a sled). Once you start building it, ideas will flow, and you will make due with what you have from the pallets or laying around. Good luckl with the project, sounds fun. Be sure to take a few pictures to post for your buddies on Hearth.com.

Although that dray would work best with an ATV ,

I still think it might work. To pull some logs out from where I can't get in which the Jeep, And also keep from getting more dirt and mud Into the logs .

How does it do running over other sticks in crap laying on the ground ??

How long is that one you built, and what size. stock did you use for the top pieces ??

Did you use lag type eye bolts or drill through with nuts ??

I have a bunch of pallets with two by sixes and such, 2x6 , would be good for the top, I would think
The pallets in the picture I put up, I had to cut smaller at the site be able to pick him up and load them, I can get more which have longer skids on them, I would just take them apart on site instead of cutting them up.

I'll try to remember to take a couple other pictures today if possible. The dray can be made to practically any size and we used to haul a larger one behind a tractor. We even had a big one we hauled behind a dozer when a tractor would not work. Naturally as you would expect, that was in some terrible mud. But yes, the size I built is about right for the atv and pulls amazingly easy. That is one of the big benefits of a dray. It has no problem going over any crap on the ground but I don't think I've went over anything over 4 or 5." I used lag type eye bolts but if I ever replace then I would go with bolt type. 2 x 6 were used for the top pieces and the size was determined more from the size I had laying around. It could easily be built wider with no problem.

View attachment 85289 View attachment 85290 View attachment 85288

Backwoods, do you have eye hooks on the front of the dray where the 45 Deg ends are. Trying to figure how and where you attached the chains. Thanks.

Yes Ken. If you would like some close up shots let me know and I'll get them tomorrow.

One of the many great safety tips from here is to drape a coat over a pulling rope/chain. If it snaps, the coat makes the rope fall instead of becoming a missle.

If you can build a dray for them, that would be much better than dragging directly on the dirt. The last 4 cords I cut were all dragged and rolled around in the dirt. It dulled the chain after the first cut. I didn't realize how bad it was until I finished those 4 cords and started cutting freshly felled trees. The chain was still as sharp as when I started after bucking an entire tree.

One of the many great safety tips from here is to drape a coat over a pulling rope/chain. If it snaps, the coat makes the rope fall instead of becoming a missle.
Great tip! I'll be sure to bring along a coat.

When I cleared the land for our first home that was built,, the wife hauled the brush to the woods and I stacked the butt wood into piles as I cut.. We had no equipment back then,, cleared about 3 acres all by hand ,, took all summer but we were excited to be building a log home at the time... My excavation guy took his bull dozer and gently pushed all my wood plies into a few big piles off to one side.,,, little did I know how much dirt would be left on the logs... To cut them I wound up using my pressure washer and cleaning the dirt off... That was a lesson I never forgot...been there done that! A friend who use to have an outdoor boiler was bragging to me how a friend was bringing him 3 huge roll off dumpsters full of locust... Well he wasn't lying,, they came and were all full of dirt... He bought a chain sharpener and a bunch of chains,,, he spent more time swapping out chains then cutting until I finally convinced him to get his pressure washer going...then he got some wheres.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
The only advise I have if your pulling stuff with that grizzly is to use low gear !! You will take out the one-way bearing that controls your engine braking. dont ask me how I know this -haha my griz 700 is at about 3800 miles so far and I am an expert at changing that bearing now.

Reactions: Thistle and charly
What size of chain/cable are you planning on using? Make sure you are sized appropriately for you vehicle and load.

Status
Not open for further replies.