Log Splitter Hydraulic Fluid - 1st Change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdNorCal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2018
Newcastle, Ca.
DHT recommends changing fluid and filter after 25 hours of use. I am tempted to change filter only. Fluid looks great and it seems wasteful to replace. My HST tractor change is every 200 hours and it certainly puts more stress on the fluid with the loader, pto and HST. Do you guys change fluid after the 1st 25 hours of use?

I probably will change the fluid and need about 6.5 gals of AW46. The cheapest I found was 5 gal's for $34 at walmart. But I could not find 1 gal sizes. Where do you buy AW fluid?

Per the manual and confirmed with DHT, ATF is good for very cold climates -20 to 32 F. AW46 is good for this zone, 32 to 80 F, and is what they install when shipped.

Well, you shouldn't go wrong with what they tell you, for sure.

Mine (not DHT) spec'd ATF across the board, with no temp specs. Other manufacturers might also. It is definitely better when splitting in cold weather - Nor Cal doesn't likely get all that cold?

Yes, not that cold in this area at the foothills of the Sierras. Our winter is almost like a Nova Scotia summer:)

I change the filter when specified, but I've owned my splitter for 10 years and haven't changed the hydraulic fluid. If it looks dirty or milky (moisture), I'll change it.

On expensive equipment like a farm tractor, hydraulic fluid gets changed according to specifications.

Farm stores like Tractor Suppply Co. usually have hydraulic fluid in 2 gallon containers.

I had DH Splitter. Changed the Fluid at 25 hours along with Filter. Auto Parts store had the fluid. I think about 50 bucks. To me it seemed waste of $$$. Stuff was like new by visual inspection. But what metal parts where in it I don't know.

I did the filters on both my DHT splitters at about the 25 hour mark.. i havent changed the fluid yet. I pull the dip stick every so often and run the oil through my fingers.. if i feel the fluid feels gritty, burnt, has moisture, or is getting really discolored ill change both oil and filter.. so far i havent gotten to that point..the fluid is still clean

How often do you change the hydraulic fluid in your auto or truck hydraulic transmission?

I thought this was a wood stove gear forum.

Did Nissan, Kubota or Ford make my DHT splitter? ;)