Looking for a larger saw, good deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
Thinking about a saw for the larger trees I come across...I don't know much about this Stihl. If it's in good condition is this a decent price?
"here we have an ms 440 runs awesome 25" bar and chain and a 20 comes with it, $300"

Reactions: ScotO
I'd be looking at that very seriously.

If it's not beat up, that's an awesome deal.

Buy it Bob, haggle a bit but nonetheless that's a great deal for that money if the saw is in good shape!

Buy it Bob, haggle a bit but nonetheless that's a great deal for that money if the saw is in good shape!

Very decent deal if she ain't beat to death. A C

I think I'll call the guy later today and hope he still has it. This is a 70cc saw, right? Would anybody have any experience with the 60cc Jonsey saw I'm using now that can offer what difference there may be between the two....power, weight, etc? The Jonsey has served me well but I'm only pulling an 18" bar and doubt it could effectivley pull a 25" bar.

I'd definitely grab it.

Thinking about a saw for the larger trees I come across...I don't know much about this Stihl. If it's in good condition is this a decent price?
"here we have an ms 440 runs awesome 25" bar and chain and a 20 comes with it, $300"

That's a great price if it's in decent shape. They're $900+ new.

Even beat up that would be a good price for a 440 (if it is all there and the engine is in good shape). Especially with those two bars. The 044/440 was the king of saws here in the PNW and prized by many loggers. Great 70cc saw, lighter and more nimble than the 460, and you can put a dual port 460 factory muffler on it (from the Canadian model) and have about the same power as a stock 460. With a 3/4 wrap (Stihl calls it a fill wrap) handle and big dogs, there is not much that those cannot cut. I run a 28 in. bar on mine with no problems and it will go to 32 inch with full skip. It will run the snot out of a 25 inch bar with full comp chain (with a 20 inch bar, put an 8 slot rim on it and get more chain speed, o/w you are just wasting torque).

Joe Bob says forget the doubts and just buy it. You can always flip it if you do not like it, but you will definately like it, unless you have been spoiled by a Husky 372xpw, or a Dolmar 7900.

That new in the box 440 is a sweet deal too. Go for it! They only started re-selling the 440 in the states after getting around the smog laws for some reason. Many consider it the best saw Stihl ever made, it is certainly a classic for the ages.

That NIB saw could be a good deal, even at $650, considering the extras. I don't need another mid size saw, and would probably end up homeless if I bought it. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll check it out. It's only about 15 minutes away from my house.

Cant hardly get a 036/360/361/362 for that price. Some 029/290's selling for that much (crazy!)...

For $300, I would be a buyer. Even if it needed a P & C your still in it for $400.

Call... Run.. Grab.. Go.. And dont look back! ;)

That NIB saw could be a good deal, even at $650, considering the extras. I don't need another mid size saw, and would probably end up homeless if I bought it. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll check it out. It's only about 15 minutes away from my house.

I would not consider a 440 a mid sized saw per se... especially with a DP muffler setup. I would be tempted to have you buy it for me and ship it, but I already have an 044 (I mean, do I need another chainsaw, do I?). Nice extras with that saw though, and a lot of them. I dunno what you would do with 14 in. loops with a 440, though if they are picco I could use them on my 211. I have a 32 inch bar on my 066.

Damn, this really is *tempting* No, put the saw down and back away from it.... you have one of these already. But I want it! No no no no. Yes yes yes! Damn chainsaw addiction. No no no no! You have enough saws already. But I need more Stihl chainsaws! No, I do not! Yes, I do! My precious... 440... wants the precious, does I. No more saws! But its new, see it gleam in the light? The precious saw. They already stopped selling these in the USA once, and they will do it again. No! I cannot afford it right now. Yes, you wants the saw. The precious saw. The EPA will ban them again! No! I already have an 044... but its older. Its used. Its not a new 440, like this one, with all the pretty attachments... my precious! In a box, my precious!

Bang bang bang...

Must have been a good deal, called last night and sold already....dang!

Yah, a saw like that here for that price would be sold in 20 minutes on CL. That is how I got my 066 and my 211 (nabbed them fast on CL for good prices).

I have a newer MS441. It is easy on gas, great power, but a beotch to start. Once she's running, she'll cut down Mount Everest.

Status
Not open for further replies.