Looking for Blaze King Experience

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So bholler claimed it was a bad stove so it has to be true?

I agree with you, they were not very good. But according to their tech support, their other models were even worse! ;lol
No not just me. Pretty much everyone in the industry that knows jotuls agrees. Most jotuls are very reliable solid heaters.

Just out of curiousity what experience do you have with noncat stoves.

Still, consider the advantages. It keeps rain and coyotes out of the house. No more wringing out your sofa cushions or rassling coyotes for the last slice of ham!
The funny thing is my similarly sized regency handled low temps better while using the same ammout of wood. Even though I added another r30 in the attic before the princess got hooked up.

Wow... this one went off the rails fast. Who shuts it down when the moderators take it off topic? :eek:

You're right bholler. You're always right. I don't know why the rest of us are even here, some days.

Where's Highbeam?

Wow... this one went off the rails fast. Who shuts it down when the moderators take it off topic? :eek:

You're right bholler. You're always right. I don't know why the rest of us are even here, some days.

Where's Highbeam?
I am just giving my perspective having burnt a bk and quite a few noncats. That isnt off topic. I am sorry that i am not that impressed with bk as many of you are. I like many aspects of them but from my experience they are lacking in high output.

Just because not everyone is praising bk doesnt mean the thread went off the rails.

So bholler claimed it was a bad stove so it has to be true? I agree with you, they were not very good. But according to their tech support, their other models were even worse!
Bholler has no skin in the game, the Jotul guy did and just wanted you to keep your crappy stoves and continue to buy parts. ;hm
you are telling a guy who lives in a 7000sf stone lair that his stove is fine but you need a stove with REAL heat output-
I don't think he was telling Ashful how to run his house...
High output is useful for people who need a fair amount of heat during the day, then come home after a long day, the load has burned down, and they want to raise room temp ASAP. I don't really need a longer, lower burn than what I already get in my cat stove in shoulder season, since the house doesn't cool off very fast. I would rather have back the higher output that the Fireview gave me, which I gave up to get the bigger window and ash grate of the lower-output Keystone.

Where's Highbeam?

I’m here ash. I just can’t fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerBob
I figured it would sink in, sooner or later. :p ;)

I sent PE an email asking a question on Monday. It appeared from their website that is the only way to contact them. I haven’t heard a response to my email yet.

Yesterday I called BK phone number on their website and ended up having a 20 minute conversation with one of their employees who do the actual epa testing of their stoves.

BK has shown a better customer service experience to myself so far. I found a dealer with an Ashford 30 in the chestnut brown color in their showroom. I’m going to look at that Sunday.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I am an ashford owner, and I love mine. Given what I have read I would go bigger.

Ok, I've seen enough, and am gonna chime in..
To the OP, I have a King heating quite abit more sq. ft. Than you have, and my stove NEVER runs on full burn, other than start up / reload..
I did'nt choose the King cause it was "pretty", I chose it because it was the largest and most efficient stove on the planet..
I'm currently running a King in the house, and a Princess in the garage (1800+sq.ft. W/10' ceilings)..
The Princess does just fine, but I wish it had the fuel tank of the King..

Ok, I've seen enough, and am gonna chime in..
To the OP, I have a King heating quite abit more sq. ft. Than you have, and my stove NEVER runs on full burn, other than start up / reload..
I did'nt choose the King cause it was "pretty", I chose it because it was the largest and most efficient stove on the planet..
I'm currently running a King in the house, and a Princess in the garage (1800+sq.ft. W/10' ceilings)..
The Princess does just fine, but I wish it had the fuel tank of the King..

All great points.

The king is no longer the most efficient stove. Another company, Kuma, beat it by several percentage points but that stove is even uglier! Short burn times too.

Reactions: Ashful
The regency 5100 is also larger with about the same efficency numbers.

I will say while at this time I don't feel a bk is the right fit for my house after a few more years of work on the house it may very well be. They are good stoves without question if your btu load is low enough to be able to run them low most of the time. And they are fine if you need to run higher.

To the OP, I have a King heating quite abit more sq. ft.

Thanks! I appreciate all the input and opinions I've been getting on this. I've convinced myself that either one of the stoves I've narrowed it down to the Ashford 30 or T6 I think will provide what I want. Im basing that off of the info I'm getting here and the fact that my NZ3000 has done a pretty good job since 2011. I just think its time to commit to something different and will probably work better than the 3000 in my scenario.

I'm still trying to get the time to read and process the EPA reports on the 2 stoves and then Sunday go look at the Chestnut colored BK.

either way you choose make sure you stop back in and do a update!

I've convinced myself that either one of the stoves I've narrowed it down to the Ashford 30 or T6 I think will provide what I want.
I'm going with the KISS principle for my SIL's new stove...Keep It Simple, Stupid. ==c I'll be getting her a T5. If you look at the exploded diagram, there are hardly any parts to it at all. No cat to mess with either. She will end up getting a free stove, compared to her current cat stove, when you add up a couple hundred bucks every three years.
Unfortunately, the T6 doesn't come in porcelain enamel, for some reason...

My Princess has no issues heating my space (2200f) now that is 40F out there.....

My Princess has no issues heating my space (2200f) now that is 40F out there.....
Is that the daytime high, or low?

square footage is an absolutely useless number to base heat input requirements on
Not if you have the supplemental details to go with it, as we do here.

So tr
I heat 2300sf with only a princess insert all year, but square footage is an absolutely useless number to base heat input requirements on, as we have seen once again in this thread.
Soooo true

All great points.

The king is no longer the most efficient stove. Another company, Kuma, beat it by several percentage points but that stove is even uglier! Short burn times too.
Nope!! Look at 2020, Method 28R efficiency reports. Do not compare old test methods to updated methods. 28R did away with a correction factor, filter pull changes etc. EPA list as of February 2019, green colored units are all 28R method tested.

Nope!! Look at 2020, Method 28R efficiency reports. Do not compare old test methods to updated methods. 28R did away with a correction factor, filter pull changes etc. EPA list as of February 2019, green colored units are all 28R method tested.

I have looked at the list and it is missing key information like what you wrote above. It’s a list in transition. Will old stoves that previously tested clean enough to pass 2020 gph limits (such as the nc30) now have to be retested using a new test method?

Seems the February 2019 list has been removed from epa, and March is being written.

Last edited:
Reactions: mar13
Status
Not open for further replies.