Looking for some details on a (80s?) Kodiak stove insert in good shape

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jibblit

Aug 5, 2021
Rockville, MD
Hi everyone, purchased a home in the MD suburbs of DC and it came with a approx. 30 year old Kodiak wood stove insert (pics below). It looks (to me) to be in pretty good condition but unfortunately it's impractical for our family to keep or use it.
  • How would one go about disassembling and moving something like this? I don't plan on doing it myself but would like to know what to expect, especially regarding how _not_ to mess up my floors :D
  • Is this worth anything or am I wasting my time asking for money for a "you pull it" situation?
Thanks in advance everyone!

IMG_20210304_104752886.jpgIMG_20210304_104811887.jpgIMG_20210304_104714904.jpgIMG_20210304_104644125.jpg

If you let someone else pull it, you may risk floor damage or them hurting themselves. Be sure they are well prepared. This will weigh about 500#. It's worth about $200-250 and easier to sell in Sept or Oct, once it starts to cool down.

It's fairly easy if the stove has wheels under it. 4 people can lift it onto a wheeled cart. Or use a heavy duty appliance dolly: First remove the surround. If the stove is connected to a liner, disconnect it. Then remove the hearth extension. At this point you could lay down a sheet of metal to slide the stove out onto or just walk it out onto some heavy cardboard. Then, either lift it onto the cart or put a piece of plywood under the feet and slip the lip of the HD appliance dolly under the plywood. Ratchet strap the stove to the appliance dolly with two ratchet straps, one high and one low. Now the stove has wheels and will be easy to roll with a helper.

Reactions: Jibblit