Looking for Wood-oil Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hokieone

Aug 31, 2022
Virginia
We have had a Yukon Wood-Oil combination furnace for 30 years and have been well pleased. We also have a heat pump that does the heating until the temperature drops below 35, then the wood-oil furnace kicks in. Given the age of our furnace, we'd like to replace it before it croaks mid-winter but Yukon is gone. Any suggestions on a good wood-oil combination furnace? Or is this a dying idea?

The only one still made is by PSG...not sure if it's available right now, or coming soon...there's another thread about them here somewhere.
Also, I seen someone selling a new Yukon here locally recently...if you were interested.

Its a dying idea, far too many compromises to handle dual fuels in one device.

I said it was new, but I guess it was used one season.
And here is that other thread I mentioned before... https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/the-caddy-advanced-is-finally-on-psgs-site.187070/
1661990530085.png

Its a dying idea, far too many compromises to handle dual fuels in one device.
Not necessarily that the idea is dying. It’s that emissions regulations are ensuring that oil can’t be used in conjunction with wood or coal anymore.

To my knowledge, you can no longer buy a NEW wood/oil combination furnace and you never will again.

PSG is the only company in the world, to my knowledge, that’s still offering combination forced air furnaces new that satisfy EPA regulations. As discussed in several recent threads, it is not currently available but it will be available as a wood/electric or wood/propane variant in early 2023.

However, though rare, there are several used wood/oil ones out there that are less than 10 years old that should be pretty efficient. Good luck finding them though.

Ideally if someone wants to burn wood and oil, they install wood boiler and large thermal storage tank and then install something like an Energy Kinetics system 2000 low mass cold start boiler for backup. Wood boilers need a lot longer cycle time and some pretty good mass to burn efficiently while a low mass oil boiler runs a couple of minutes. The bummer is two flues are needed in most situations.

I have a PSG Caddy that you can put an oil burner in. I'll be selling it here in a few weeks. If you are interested, let me know. It's an EPA approved model and sips the wood. Nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to get the mess out of my house so I'm moving to a OWB.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, you can no longer buy a NEW wood/oil combination furnace and you never will again.
My wood burning unit has a built in oil burner for back up. Bought it 8 years ago and they're still being made. I'm also in CT.

My wood burning unit has a built in oil burner for back up. Bought it 8 years ago and they're still being made. I'm also in CT.

Good unit, but I believe the original post was about combination forced air furnaces. There’s plenty of combination boilers still out there I think. I don’t know how many are EPA approved and/or tax credit qualified though