Looking for Woodstove Input - Soapstone preferred

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’ve read up a bunch on the different ways to do framing, the more “advanced” techniques like the staggered 2x4, etc. I think the most cost effective (with current lumber prices) is 2x6 with 1” external foam board covered with a rain guard… and then you apply the hardieboard outside that (1” is maximum hardie will attach to)

In theory, this gets me some pretty damn good R ratings… not 2x4x2x4 R ratings, but pretty good. We’re located in 5b hardiness zone, bordering 5a so we’re not an extreme extreme
I like these

Seems as if the wife and I have sorta come to an agreement that a wood fireplace would be best.

Something with a slate fireplace look, and maybe the Opel 2 plus from RSF… Issue is the nearest dealer is in Canada… but that’s not really that far.

Or Opel 3 plus… found a US dealer that’s about the same distance as the Canadian dealer…

Last edited: