Looking to get a bigger wood stove. New to wood burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a good stove for $500.00 Vermont Castings, Defiant Encore, top and front loadView attachment 85792

The positives:
Efficient stove
Long burn times
Throws a lot of heat
Looks good doing it

The negatives:
High maintenance costs.
More maintenance needed than other stoves
If this is the non-cat "everburn" model they can be difficult to run

Maintenance demands and costs:
Stove relies heavily on gasket materials. Which means any used stove will probably need at least the doors, ash pan, flue collar, and griddle gaskets replaced.
Gasket materials and cement will run you about $30
Whether it is the cat version or non-cat version it might need the internal assembly replaced which will run about $250.
If this is the cat version, a new catalytic combustor may be needed which will run you between $150-$250 depending upon where you buy one.

Reactions: raybonz
I don't like the look of glass. I would rather a mystery black box that puts out heat.
I think you'll like watching the secondary burns Brandon ..

Ray
I live in lakeville, ma. I am heading to go look at a true north stove if she lets it go for 900. I will buy it
Very good. As you get more experience burning wood, you'll come to value the information you can gather by watching the fire through the glass...and fire just looks nice. ==c
My original plate-steel stove is now at my BIL's house; Without a window, running that stove is like trying to drive a car while wearing a blindfold. ;lol

Have you considered how you are going to vent the stove? Is that a masonry fireplace? I don't know...can you rear-vent a True North?

I live in lakeville, ma. I am heading to go look at a true north stove if she lets it go for 900. I will buy it
How much did Kelly say they were selling it for?

Ray

Hi everyone. I went and saw the True North in person. What a great stove. I am taking your word on this one. It is 950 out the door including sales tax. Brand New. I have not bought it yet. I posted my stove on Craig's list for 275 and all ready got a call. Is my price to cheap? Also should I worry with the new stove, my wood is not the best. I did buy a case of the starters.

Hi everyone. I went and saw the True North in person. What a great stove. I am taking your word on this one. It is 950 out the door including sales tax. Brand New. I have not bought it yet. I posted my stove on Craig's list for 275 and all ready got a call. Is my price to cheap? Also should I worry with the new stove, my wood is not the best. I did buy a case of the starters.
That price about right considering it's an old non-epa stove.. I'll let some True North burners chime in with their opinions as I have no experience with this stove. I would start a new thread with PE True North in the subject line to get more info..Did you buy the Super Cedars?

Ray

Just to pass this on-
I spoke with a very good retailer, and was quoted the same price. She has sold three of these stoves in just the last month. All reports so far, are that the owners are very happy with the stoves performance. 6-8 hr. burns with Aspen and Lodgepole Pine.
I'll look forward to the reports on your stove, when up and running.

Im glad you passed on that stove you posted originally, the new stoves are where its at. Watch out you may get hooked on this wood burning thing.

Not many TN burners here, so yes we want details. Pacific Energy builds good products.

I hope your working on next winter's wood ;)

I agree with Ray. Start a new thread when you get it.

Ray I got a case of these.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356146015.852402.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356146015.852402.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 135
Ray I got a case of these.
Yeah those are great use them here too..
Remember that wood in log length doesn't dry out.. It must be cut, split and stacked off the ground and in the wind.. Top covered only..

Ray. I know a guy in carver that loves to split and stack wood. If I hammer at it it will be a good start for cheap money. It will be hard work but better than paying for propane

TN = True North. The Super Cedars can be broken into 1/4 by hand.

Ray. I know a guy in carver that loves to split and stack wood. If I hammer at it it will be a good start for cheap money. It will be hard work but better than paying for propane
In your dreams paperboy lmao >>

Ray

How can you cut those starters. With a chop saw? How many times?
I use a sharp utility knife and score into 1/6's and that is enough to light 1 fire with no kindling with dry wood.. YMMV with less than ideal wood..

Ray

You have the right idea except for the Ray part ;) A woodstove is only as good as the fuel it burns anything less will be disappointing.. I will suggest going to Tractor Supply and buy a bundle of the ECO bricks and mix them in with less than ideal wood as they are very dry and will help level the moisture level out.. Last year a pack of 8 is now the price for a pack of 6! :(

http://www.tractorsupply.com/redstone-trade-ecobrick-pack-of-6-1001261

Ray

Ok guys. The frustration has set in The wife told me she has some money to buy the new stove. Will my not so good wood work in the stove? Right now we are struggling with semi seasoned wood. It is hard to find good stuff. Should I buy it and and run the Eco logs in with the damp stuff. Thanks for that tip Ray. I will be wait for the advise. I have 1600 to invest. I was thinking a new stove and a truck load of log length to prepare for the following years. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.