Looks like Firewood Dealers are ramping up this spring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
In my roaming around in last few weeks I have seen several smaller operations with firewood processors with large stock piles of treelength logs and piles of processed splits stacking up. My guess is the log length wood was available and they are betting on fuel prices staying high upping the demand for this fall. No doubt it will be sold as "seasoned" wood to willing buyers in few months.

Reactions: DonTee and EbS-P
Firewood seems to be the micro industry around here to, between the increase in fuel prices and surplus of tree's I'm seeing lots of spring up backyard operations in my area.
I have about 16 cords split on my property and I would estimate my one pile is about 8 cords maybe more in a big heap, I have lots of people that ask if I sell wood, its hard to explain my methods of drying and being 3-5 years ahead., but at the same time, if cord wood prices hit the 350-400 mark, I might sell a few for some extra pocket money.

I got a delivery of doug fir last week. They process 2 log truck loads... a day.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Different areas, different markets. I think most locals process their own wood in my area and since there is active logging in the area many know a logger or a trucker that can drop a truck load off (I do not) . Yes there are small wood sellers but they usually are doing it for under the table income when on unemployment, disability or during mud season. There is also a very active tourist season that starts in May until Mid October and anyone who can breathe and has a license can probably do $15 an hour so the state unemployment department is rightfully suspicious if someone is claiming they can not find work.

The biggest issue locally is most of the folks who buy truck loads have it dropped off in late winter, process it during mud season and burn it in the fall. Not a lot of folks who get a couple of years ahead.

Just south of here is a resort area (Conway NH) with lots of vacation homes and Short Term Rentals, the owner tend to buy premium wood. Its different market.

Yes, it is a big outfit. They also have 2 massive kilns that process a lot of wood. Also, different species of wood. Doug fir dries quickly unlike madrona that takes a couple years to season.

This time of the year firewood is cheap in my area. Just now looking on Facebook Marketplace it looks like unseasoned wood can be had for as little as 50$ a FC, and the average price for “seasoned” is 65$ per FC. The cheapest option is hardwood slab wood, which is 30$ per FC.

I’d love for firewood prices to go up a little around here, so I could make some money selling some.

I don’t see any more firewood activity than normal at this point in the year, but do agree that might change if oil prices stay up. Come fall when people are filling their oil tanks firewood might go for more.

Fire wood prices in my area are on the rise now. Last year your average green cord of wood was $200 to $225, this year I’m seeing 225 to 275 , I began selling small lots of firewood last season 1/4cord 32 cu.ft. For $75. That worked well and in the month of January I sold about 30 1/4 cord racks all cash and carry and all nicely seasoned. Could have sold much more if I had more available. Good seasoned wood, when all the bulk dealer are out of wood will sell for a premium almost anywhere . This year with the heat oil so high I believe burnable firewood will be very scarce in January and February of 2023

A friend recently retired and started using his cabin more in the winter. I had some wood stored at his place and he mowed through it. He has a big old Frontier. Think Fisher Grandpa Bear type thing. He bought 1 cord. It’s great (wet) wood, but he has no concept of how it’s going to burn compared to the dry wood he’s used to burning. With the amount of oak and hard maple that’s in the wood, he’s going to have a rude surprise. I also pointed out how quickly the face cord he has stacked on his porch will go once he starts burning 3 -4 fires a day in a 4 cubic foot stove. Live and learn!

Reactions: fbelec
People definitely don’t understand the benefits of dry wood until the have heated with it for a season. Most people where I live think it dry if split in the summer and burned in the fall. I understand that everyones situation is different but I do enjoy burning nicely seasoned wood. Being retired makes the preparation for heating season much easier.

Fire wood demand is up here. But on the flip side, there are several band saw mill owners around who can't give their slabs away. I know it's not prime fire wood, but with the price of alternative fuels, you'd think someone would want to burn it.

That surprises me. I'd burn slab all day long! Easy to stack, fast drying.. whats not to like? I suppose it'd burn fast, but if its free or nearly so, sign me up!

Slabs around me are sold for 50. A banded bundle which probably equals a 1/3 cord. Some small mills make up campfire-wood bundles with there slabs and make more like $ 300 per cord. But of course have more labor involved.

The people that sell the cheapest are going to disappoint there customers and themselves. I see wood dealers shorting customers all the time, and promising what they can’t deliver. They last a few months and learn it’s not as easy as it looks.

I am not sure on that, plenty of sleezebags sell firewood on craigslist and facebook and they are in it for the quick buck. Dealers are usually in it for the long run and in my area rarely are even looking for new customers, they service their existing ones.

Slabs are great shoulder season wood if they are free/cheap. I'm so far ahead at this point I'm only using the good stuff but if I were new or in a pinch I'd be all over slabs.

That’s exactly what I am referring to, the firewood seller that is in it for a few extra bucks that shorts people on measure and claims seasoned when the wood is green. I was not referring to established dealers with a good customer base, just the fly by night , beer money guys that think they can undercut the seller who provide a valuable service.