Looks like it’ll be next season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
got my moisture meter yesterday, checked all the wood i got, the stuff that the ends are splitin on even on a fresh split its readin 30% but on the outside its readin 5-10% i almost got excited, all the stuff i got from the gas stations is readin like 1% but that stuff doesnt really last long and at 7 bucks for a bundle of about 6 splits jus isnt worth it to me, guess i'll jus deal with the high electric bills for the remainder of this season :( oh well i'll be ready this comin winter, i hope.....happy and safe burning to all

That is a bit damp. Wise of you to check and show some restraint. As a test, you might try fresh splitting some of the splits in half. Then bring them indoors and let them sit in the house for a week or two. The can drop the moisture in the wood a lot faster. They may be burnable after that. Give the wood a bit more air and watch the ends for bubbling as they heat up. Mix it with some known dry wood and keep the fire on the hot side.

You might look at the cost per BTU and see if purchasing sawdust logs (EnviLogs, BioBricks and the like) make sense for this year.

I like to go find some dead elm trees were the bark is coming off the branches. You it's dry if it hasn't been rained on lately. That way you can curb the usage on next years wood and start getting payback on your investment. I have noticed it does not pay to buy wood neither. Maybe you can go to a cabinet shop or pallet pace and find some dry stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.