Looks like the Oslo is getting a cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I imagine the loss of a cat won't hamper the hybrid stoves much, unless it was a primarily cat stove before. The BK Bholler mentioned seems like it would only be able to operate about 50% capacity for heat and time.
Most true hybrids would be effected allot as well.

Yeah this damn new phone auto corrects to crazy stuff that makes no sense at all.
I don't like posting from a phone. It's slower and I have to review each posting for spell check slips. At least the post is editable.

I got nothing against the EPA until they try telling us we can’t burn anymore, which I don’t think will ever happen.

I think the V3 will be an interesting stove for sure, I just don’t understand why they’d go with a passive cat vs using a bypass. I feel like these cats will fail quite often. Because it’s also a tube stove, the user won’t even be aware of the failure as it will simply operate as a pre 2020 stove would. You could potentially be paying a premium, and I know the V3 will come with a premium price tag, for a feature that doesn’t even last a full season.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I got nothing against the EPA until they try telling us we can’t burn anymore, which I don’t think will ever happen.

I think the V3 will be an interesting stove for sure, I just don’t understand why they’d go with a passive cat vs using a bypass. I feel like these cats will fail quite often. Because it’s also a tube stove, the user won’t even be aware of the failure as it will simply operate as a pre 2020 stove would. You could potentially be paying a premium, and I know the V3 will come with a premium price tag, for a feature that doesn’t even last a full season.
A good dealer should be able to make sure the customer knows there's a cat. Some dealers aren't that good as we all know. From what I understand these cats are different than those found in a Woodstock or similar stove. I think they are much larger than an ordinary cat, which also means they might be more expensive.

I just read the EPA report on the Jotul website, wow, I see why it is so expensive. The fuel load is very interesting and all loads were over 20% moisture content. I'm not very familiar with the Oslo. What is the giant sheet metal box on the back of the stove?

I just read the EPA report on the Jotul website, wow, I see why it is so expensive. The fuel load is very interesting and all loads were over 20% moisture content. I'm not very familiar with the Oslo. What is the giant sheet metal box on the back of the stove?
A heat shield to reduce clearances.

That is allot of speculation about a stove we dont really know allot about yet. You may be correct but i think it is way to early to jump to these conclusions.

Last edited:
Reactions: moresnow

Where are you seeing a price?

What is the giant sheet metal box on the back of the stove?
Heat shield possibly off the back. Mine is a little older, but has a 4" shield to reduce clearances. It's not needed, but is an available option.

Attachments

• 0428191919.jpg
    0428191919.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 273
  • 0428191921.jpg
    0428191921.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 284
What if, the folks buying this jotul don’t even want a cat stove? Aren’t interested in doing the work associated with a cat for the sake of slightly lower emissions or that extra hour of supposed burn time. Or, like so many operators, just want to put wood in and burn.

How many of these newly cat infused designs will run pretty dang good with a dead cat? If they do run well with a dead cat, I would expect the majority to be run that way for the majority of their lives.
There will be many offerings in the Jøtul lineup without a combustor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: begreen and bholler
How many of these newly cat infused designs will run pretty dang good with a dead cat? If they do run well with a dead cat, I would expect the majority to be run that way for the majority of their lives.

This exactly how I interpreted your earlier post, and I was thinking exactly the same. We replace the cats on our BKs and Woodstock’s because we can directly see and measure their performance loss, in terms of light-off temp, hold time, and (most often) chimney plume. What mechanisms has Jotul included to make it obvious to new customers when their cat is failing? I suspect it won’t be the usual method (plume), as they’ll probably burn reasonably clean with a totally dead cat, just not “2020 level clean”.

Reactions: Highbeam
they’ll probably burn reasonably clean with a totally dead cat, just not “2020 level clean”.

"Jotul was able to combine the best aspects of typical non-catalytic secondary combustion baffle technology and catalytic technology to create a clean burning woodstove that operates without the need for a bypass."

All things remaining equal between the V3 and current F500, it should operate as a typical F500 tube stove at 3.20 gram/hour. However with the addition of a cat (and a large one at that it seems) they may have needed to sacrificed some of the old F500 reburning efficiency to fit the cat within the same footprint. When the cat fails, they may burn worse than 3.20 grams/hour. Best case, they'll burn equally well to the current F500 generation but yeah... you'd never know the cat has expired?

I guess owners will need to be extremely diligent in making sure they're using optimal fuel to get a hot fire going very quickly.

I'm going to bet there'll be a sentence in the manual that says to periodically inspect the element to ensure optimal performance.

All done. No other worries.

Reactions: Ashful and SpaceBus
This exactly how I interpreted your earlier post, and I was thinking exactly the same. We replace the cats on our BKs and Woodstock’s because we can directly see and measure their performance loss, in terms of light-off temp, hold time, and (most often) chimney plume. What mechanisms has Jotul included to make it obvious to new customers when their cat is failing? I suspect it won’t be the usual method (plume), as they’ll probably burn reasonably clean with a totally dead cat, just not “2020 level clean”.

You wrote it out much better and than I did.

Consider also, how will the operator call in the 3 year minimum federal warranty on a dead cat if there is no apparent evidence of cat failure?

Big cats, and rare cats, are expensive cats. Cats that aren’t bypassed would seem to be more prone to early failure but I’m selfishly hoping that some new tech is introduced that works and we can all someday get good cat stoves that don’t use bypasses.

Reactions: Ashful
What mechanisms has Jotul included to make it obvious to new customers when their cat is failing? I suspect it won’t be the usual method (plume), as they’ll probably burn reasonably clean with a totally dead cat, just not “2020 level clean”.
As noted, not all Jotul stoves will be getting the cat treatment. We will need to wait and see. Perhaps with the larger cat, burning up just the last bits of particulates, their cat may last the mythical 10 yrs? Hopefully Jotul will make inspection and cleaning of the cat straight-forward so that this is a fairly easy process. Stay tuned.

Reactions: bholler
From a legal standpoint, a cat without a bypass is a cat that can't be operated in an incorrect manner. I'd be worried about one becoming a solid block of creosote and killing a family either by blocking a flue or lighting off and causing a chimney to fail.

Plugging with ash is a possibility, as could be flame impingement damage. We'll see.

A good dealer should be able to make sure the customer knows there's a cat. Some dealers aren't that good as we all know. From what I understand these cats are different than those found in a Woodstock or similar stove. I think they are much larger than an ordinary cat, which also means they might be more expensive.
These cats are different indeed. I’m concerned with the cost of replacement. It’s housed in a Skamol box similar to the combustion box on a VC. Not comparing it to it from a durability standpoint, just for reference..
I’m really concerned with the replacement cost of this system. A V3 cat costs 3x more than a standard cat from what I understand and this one is unique, having very large cells.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Does anybody know enough about it to do more than speculate?

Maybe they have 4 year olds in China making the assembly and it'll only be $100.

I like most people here know very little about it.