Looks like we will be using an old non epa stove this winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

owingsia

Aug 12, 2013
Saluda VA
Long story short.... we ordered a new stove from Wood Stock..... it arrived.... cracked (During shipping)

Everything will be made right but we get to wait a little bit before the stove is replaced. (We had asked for a custom color etc...)

So we have put in its place a Englander stove... not sure of the model but its a big beast of a stove. Not looking forward to feeding the wood eating beast but I want to be warm.

I did try it our over the last week when the weather was cool enough to warrant a test fire. not to bad... I was shocked that I was able to get a rather clean burn out of it (gauging by the smoke coming out of the chimney). I think the dry wood had something to do with it. Will have to see how it really works when we need to run it harder when weather is cold.

Yeah old stoves can burn pretty clean with good wood and burnt correctly

Those old stoves will produce creosote if you choke it down trying to get an overnight burn. Better to let it burn out overnight. Small hot fires are much better than large slow smoldering ones. I have 4 non epa and 4 epa stoves so i have lots of practice with both.

Burn dry wood and don't smolder it. You should do ok until the new stove arrives. If concerned have the chimney cleaned after the first cord of wood has been burned.

We have a pellet stove also, we plan on using it during the night to keep the chill off and then fire up the stove again for the day.
I hope the new stove comes before the cold of winter, looking forward to those 10+ hour burn times of the new Woodstock stoves. Although we will probably not see 10+ hours as we have a lot of pine. I have a few cords of oak but that wont be ready for another year or two depending on what the MM says. (currently at 28-34% depending on what stack is tested. Poplar, cherry, and pine are good for this year.

Was impressed with the Englanders heat output.

Which Englander is this? Got a picture you can post?

Guess you gotta do what you gotta do. The old iron can certainly burn clean, but so can an open fireplace. The big key is cutting back the 'excess' air as much as possible... all it does is suck heat from the house and cool down the stove. But if you smolder the fire, then some of the energy goes up the stack as smoke. A very delicate balancing act... especially considering many of the older stoves don't even have windows to view the fire.

Yup, that sounds like one of the originals.

Status
Not open for further replies.