Lopi bypass and sooteater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lopiliberty

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2011
WV
I got a sooteater for Christmas and im going to try it out soon. Was wondering if any lopi owners have had trouble with the bypass cutting into the robs. Tested one rod christmas day and it appeared like it wanted to rest against the bypass plate. I'm going to find something to protect the rods but for the first time I was going to rig up a rag to protect them from the sharp edges of the bypass plate.

The rods get scraped up. I wouldn't worry too much about this. Try to keep the drill as low as possible to soften the angle of entry.

FWIW, on freestanding stoves with a stove pipe flue there are 3 screws per joint. They scratch and scrape the rods, especially when going through a double 45 elbow offset. So far after 4 cleanings the rods look a bit scratched up, but they are still in good shape.

On my insert I take the baffle plate, bricks, bypass plate out. Rods stile get scratched somewhere. Probably on the flu collar.

On my insert I take the baffle plate, bricks, bypass plate out. Rods stile get scratched somewhere. Probably on the flu collar.
I had to remove half my baffle last year to replace the baffle support and it was a PITA. Thats a 4 hander type of job. I would hate to have to do it every year

I have to do that there is no way around it on my insert. I am not sure how it’s with your stove. If you don’t remove the baffle doesn’t all the soot end up on the top of it when you brush your flue?

I have to do that there is no way around it on my insert. I am not sure how it’s with your stove. If you don’t remove the baffle doesn’t all the soot end up on the top of it when you brush your flue?
No the bypass plate has edges sticking up so pretty much all the soot falls into the fire box. I do stick the vacuum hose up the bypass and vacuum around it to get anthing at might not have fallen into the stove. Then I usually remove one baffle brick and stick the vacuum up there but there usually isn't much stuff on the baffel.