Lopi Fireplace Insert — insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yup they indicated that’s what they are going to be doing. Just thinking about it, I think there may even be criminal liability here if there’s a fire resulting from a faulty install, now that they (meaning the dealer) are aware. Wild stuff.
Definitely criminal liability for the installers. Not sure about the dealer but it is possible

Good luck and keep us posted. I hope this all ends up well for you.

This is why I run all my ideas through the forum. Not my thread and not really my problem but Just wanted to jump in and give thanks to you guys. what could have happened if he went ahead and used the fireplace as is....I don't want to think about it.

Keep us updated! Good luck!

Reactions: bholler
Fellow firewood fanatics: sorry to keep you all waiting on my fireplace saga—was busy with a new job and traveling for a few months, etc etc. Anyway, the company made good on everything, totally redid everything and installed the FirePlaceX Apex 42 (see pictures). Again this is a large reputable installer in the tri-state area, so I was confident they would fix it. It was an incredible amount of work for them to fix their mistake and rebuild my entire fireplace, and I thought their work this time was excellent! The install was completed early Jan, so I had a few days to use it before leaving for travel.

The Apex 42 they installed has been stellar so far (my wife has been using it 24/7 while I’m gone). Despite the insanely low temperatures this winter she is able to keep our 3300 sq ft open-floor-plan house at 70 degrees-plus during the day, without coming close to over firing the stove. Previously we only had oil heat, so with the price of oil these days we couldn’t be happier with the ability of the stove to heat our house—I really didn’t expect the stove to be able to heat the whole house by itself, but it does so easily.

38E6DA5B-4E1D-46C7-9BFB-26B4FA003D16.jpegA32FC59F-D676-4688-96C7-5DC33A8687A8.jpeg

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Because we are nerds here... in short detail what did they do? Rebuild the fireplace, install a new ZC then your unit, new chimney liner, etc?

Also you might want to consider a small ember pad in front of your hearth on the wood floor to catch anything that might fall when the door opens. Cant remove a burn easily in the hardwood.

Because we are nerds here... in short detail what did they do? Rebuild the fireplace, install a new ZC then your unit, new chimney liner, etc?

Also you might want to consider a small ember pad in front of your hearth on the wood floor to catch anything that might fall when the door opens. Cant remove a burn easily in the hardwood.
Yes, they redid absolutely everything. They tore the old stove out, rebuilt the fireplace area of my house and added the appropriate steel framing in the house as required by the install instructions, then installed the ZC unit (the apex 42)—I read the install literature for the apex 42, and they did it all right this time; I also had a friend who is a former fire chief check it out for me. The owner of the company did the install himself with his team. New chimney liner as well (a much bigger one this time: 8 inch diameter, per the apex 42 specs). Totally redid the stone face with new stone, new mantle. Grouted everything up of course. Everything has operated flawlessly for 2 months now.

Great idea re: ember pad. Will do that (and by that I mean the wife will pick one out to her standard).

Reactions: PaulOinMA