Mahindra 4540

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Maybe I can get some opinions on this idea then?

New vs. used?

Pros for new... I know all other history of the tractor; may have some new features; everything like steering and pedals will be very tight still
Cons for new... PRICE!; underpowered due to emissions restrictions; things just are not built like they used to be

Pros for used... PRICE!; power true to tractor potential (no emissions restrictions); things have been built better in the past
Cons for used... don't know the machines history or how it was maintained; controls can be sloppy; finding a good one

My biggest complaint about my tractor is that sticks get stuck up in the undercarriage when I drive over slash from clearing trees. Probably not specific to my tractor though ;lol
Coincidentally that is one of the reasons I didn't pick Kioti. Kioti made my top 3 list ( Yanmar, Kioti, JD ) . The bottom of my Yanmar actually has a skid plate on it . :)

Coincidentally that is one of the reasons I didn't pick Kioti. They made my top 3 list ( Yanmar, Kioti, JD ) . The bottom of my Yanmar actually has a skid plate on it . :)
I suspect I will end up with one pretty soon as well. How thick is yours?

Maybe I can get some opinions on this idea then?

New vs. used?

Pros for new... I know all other history of the tractor; may have some new features; everything like steering and pedals will be very tight still
Cons for new... PRICE!; underpowered due to emissions restrictions; things just are not built like they used to be

Pros for used... PRICE!; power true to tractor potential (no emissions restrictions); things have been built better in the past
Cons for used... don't know the machines history or how it was maintained; controls can be sloppy; finding a good one

Underpowered? What do you mean by this? A 45 hp compact tractor will be 45 hp no matter what the emissions controls are. A diesel particulate filter does not make the tractor any less powerful. It is heavy and adds a bit of complexity. Before moving to Maine I frequently used a 70 HP Ford Cat 2 tractor made in the early 80's and I don't miss it at all. It was stinky, loud, and I honestly prefer the HST on my Kioti (which feels like a betrayal to my "manual or die" mentality). Sometimes I wish my tractor were larger, but I do not wish it were older with less emissions equipment. I really like knowing that my tractor isn't excessively polluting the place where I live with toxic particles and gasses.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Any "underpowered" evidence is totally anecdotal and I am hoping to get more information to support or debunk this. Any time I have heard it or read it, it's usually based on a mowing application and with HST. Tractor bogging down in places with a mower deck running where someone did not have the same issue with an older model. I will be mowing/ brush hogging on hills with whatever I get.

I am totally and completely for emissions controls and will use a machine with them. I just want to be sure running the machine at all will still be productive for me if I am going to spend that much money.

Any "underpowered" evidence is totally anecdotal and I am hoping to get more information to support or debunk this. Any time I have heard it or read it, it's usually based on a mowing application and with HST. Tractor bogging down in places with a mower deck running where someone did not have the same issue with an older model. I will be mowing/ brush hogging on hills with whatever I get.

I am totally and completely for emissions controls and will use a machine with them. I just want to be sure running the machine at all will still be productive for me if I am going to spend that much money.

The HST does not lend itself to mowing, this is where a geared transmission really shines. Not saying you can't mow with an HST, but the geared options will be superior. Most of what I do with the tractor involves the loader and working in tight wooded areas, where the HST really shines. If I were going to be doing more mowing the hydro shuttle manual would be my pick in a compact utility tractor. I think a big issue with the tractor bogging down is poor gear selection. Sometimes my tractor bogs if I don't have the RPM high enough or I'm in the wrong gear range, but this happens in a geared tractor if you are in the wrong gear and the RPM is too low. I have a theory that most people using HST tractors don't have much if any experience driving anything with a manual transmission. Usually I run into issues spinning the tires rather than bogging down, and that's with studded forestry chains on the back. Weighted tires would probably help in my situation, but I'm not keen on the locally available ballast options for tires.

Hydrostatic transmissions are the standard in pretty much every piece of heavy equipment besides compact tractors, where they are also gaining more traction. Skid loaders, articulated loaders, excavators, etc. all use HSTs now.

We owned a JD 6420 when we still had the family farm. It had a loader so we bought the shuttle transmission. Other than the fact that it was a cable that stretched and needed regular adjustment, I loved it. For my needs, I would buy a compact tractor with a shuttle transmission in a second, but how prevalent are they? I have done a little research, but I'm not sure what I have been finding are shuttle or not?

I suspect I will end up with one pretty soon as well. How thick is yours?
Skid plate is about 1/16" thick. I'm not sure what metal gauge that would be. Most importantly it cover the hydraulic filters, and about the middle third of the tractor.

yanmar_skid_plate.jpg

Another thing I like about the Yanmar is that the diesel tank is covered in metal, or is made out of metal vs plastic. I've heard of folks having their plastic tanks punctured by sticks.

yanmar_tank.jpg

Last edited:
A CVT is the best of both worlds between a HST and a geared tractor. HST tractors lose a huge amount of PTO HP vs geared tractors also. As I experienced with my JD 770, geared transmissions are a nightmare when it comes to loader work.

Yanmar has their own version and they call it a iHMT.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say huge amount. In the example of my tractor it's just a few HP compared to the geared tractor.

If you can afford it I say new. Nothing better than a new piece of equipment. If it has problems a good dealer will take care of you. I like the fact I know the hours, maintenance, bumps scratches in's and out's of my new tractor. Not putting down used but I waited till I could get a new one and I do not regret it one bit. A buddy of mine helped talk me into it right after he purchased his new Kubota.

I have the backhoe on the 4540, I want to start removing stumps with it but with me on the doxycycline, they recommend staying out of the sun. Tuesday night is my last time taking it so I'll either hope for cloudy days or wait until next weekend to start stump removal.

I hope everything works out. I was reading your posts on the other page. This year has been horrible for ticks. One day at work me and a buddy covered 3 miles of our rightaway. I was sprayed down with tick spray and still had 12 ticks on me by days end. Every time I'm in the woods with the dogs they get an inspection and brushing for ticks. With milder winters and wetter and hotter summers they have the perfect conditions.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I hope everything works out. I was reading your posts on the other page. This year has been horrible for ticks. One day at work me and a buddy covered 3 miles of our rightaway. I was sprayed down with tick spray and still had 12 ticks on me by days end. Every time I'm in the woods with the dogs they get an inspection and brushing for ticks. With milder winters and wetter and hotter summers they have the perfect conditions.
So far that infected area where the red circle was has diminished a lot, I feel good and so far I'm not having any side effects from the doxy.

I didn't spray my work cloths with Permethrin so I did that the other day. I've been working around the house and the ticks weren't bad.

Hopefully this winter we can have a nice Artic invasion for about two weeks, that should help.

I have farmed for 50 years and at one time had a "fleet" of 17 tractors. All have their positives and negatives. Some are better suited to a given task than others. In 1978 I bought a new 55hp UTB (Romanian Fiat). It was compact, highly maneuverable, comfortable, quiet, and best of all even working hard (occasional black smoke out the stack) it never burned quite 1 gallon of fuel per hour. The only negative was that it was an open station and even at twice the hp it had nowhere near the traction and pulling ability that my older, gas powered 2 banger Deeres did. In '84 I bought a new 70 hp Sweet Allis. Maneuverability for its size was okay, insulated cab with heat/air/cloth upolstered suspension seat/AM/FM radio with tape deck, was most comfortable. I still own this tractor and since I haven't actively farmed for the past 30 years its major negative hasn't been an issue, but if I still were doing any amount of field work I would own something else and it wouldn't have a turbo. In fact, you would almost have to give me another tractor with one. Where the UTB would chug along pulling a load at 1500rpm and 1/2 gallon of fuel an hour, Allis would, quite literally, stall at the same ground speed and rpm. It is essentially a 45hp engine, gaining its 70hp rating from the turbo, only when turning 2000rpm plus and sucking down 3 gallons of fuel an hour.
In your position I would look for newer used with a reputable, responsive dealer nearby, 1,000 hours or so on the clock, bugs worked out, but not used enough for harsh treatment to have had an effect. Generally units in that category are hard to beat for value.

This stump was from a dead pine I took down last year, it will be the first stump that gets pulled so I can plow a wider trail in that area during the winter.

Attachments

• 104_1170.JPG
    104_1170.JPG
    327.9 KB · Views: 144
Resized_20210725_181526_196.jpegResized_20210725_191711_6322.jpegResized_20210725_191726_9822.jpeg
This is what I have been working on these free dry weekends. The stacks are about 10 feet long 5 foot high. In between mowing and stacking me and copper have also been clearing around the pond while he and my other lab Chase swim. I do not have the tractor in the pics but I have been using it to haul the wood.

I had some pine branches that needed cleaning up so I took two trailer loads (not pictured) with the help of the 4540 with the forks to the town wood dump. After I took the second load, I fueled it up (five gallons) and started cleaning the outside fireplace out, I can't remember the last fire I had, maybe spring but I cleaned most of it up except for the right side where I threw the stuff that didn't burn down all the way.

We did have the tractor in at the dealers for new filters and fluids about three weeks ago so hopefully we're all set for winter.

104_2492.JPG 104_2493.JPG 104_2494.JPG 104_2495.JPG

I started working on the area we call the sandpit about a month ago, I pulled the bigger stump (pic 2511), today I started working that area again pulling two smaller stumps and lowering two yellow birch stumps. I usually would go around these when plowing in the winter but it became a pain in the azz so this area will be done before the snow falls.

This area is my new splitting area so I had some rounds I moved to another area that I'll split and stack. I also used about three FEL of sand in the areas I removed the stumps.

104_2508.JPG 104_2509.JPG 104_2511.JPG 104_2513.JPG 104_2515.JPG 104_2517.JPG 104_2518.JPG 104_2519.JPG

I had two more yellow birch stumps that I lowered the other day but decided to pull them today. I won't have to worry about plowing around them anymore in the winter time.

Picture 2522 is the first stump after I cleaned of some of the main roots, 2523 is after I cut the roots, 2524 are two deer watching me work, 2525 is the first stump removed, 2527 is the second stump removed and the last two are after back dragging it and the last is after I removed some rocks and then packed it down again with the 4540. Pic 2530 is the area I'll be storing snow in since I can make that turn without worrying about the stumps.

104_2522.JPG 104_2523.JPG 104_2524.JPG 104_2525.JPG 104_2527.JPG 104_2528.JPG 104_2529.JPG 104_2530.JPG